The dresser is finally done with the project posted! And my wife has turned around and asked for some work (strip and re-paint) to be re-done to my old bachelor days Ikea dresser for our son. My first declaration was (naturally) ”I know just the tool to get the job done! But I don’t have it so I’ll have to buy it to get started. wink”. I’ve decided to take a different approach with this project to “have fun”. So for my first round of fun…mo...
Why buy it when you can make it! #16: Dresser Rehab [Part 4] - Almost finished...well finished but some assembly required
After an unexpectedly long detour detour to get my ducks in a row for my daughter's birthday party, I finally got to spraying on the paint for the dresser rehab. This was no easy feat, as I had to tackle two major roadblocks. I needed to get over my fear of trying out a HVLP. Since I was using a Harbor Freight HVLP, I wasn’t sure how well it would work. I had to get my wife to mix the paint color she wants out of the 3 cans of General Finishes milk paint we bought a while back. ...
A friend of mine offered me an old dresser that they were throwing out, so I headed on down to fetch it. The dresser was old, but not handmade. The drawer fronts were curved and therefore no use to me. I saved the knobs though. Disassembling it I noticed a few oddities in its construction. The side panels, which are typically made of plywood are actually very thin boards. They are also flexible and somewhat delicate. The top might be one solid piece of wood, but with breadboard ends and a...
Two weekends and a good amount of work has gone into the dresser. Following my project schedule, I managed to… Pick up the plywood and processed it into drawer stock, ready to be cut to length for box construction. Build out the inside dresser to be ready to install the full extension drawer guides Cut replacement “dust frames” Completely scuff sand the dresser case Breaking out my HF HVLP Spray Gun kit Spray Zinsser BIN primer on the dresser case and drawer fr...
It’s done! She waited through 2 birthdays, 1 anniversary, 1 Christmas, and 1 Valentine’s Day… but it’s finally done, and she seems to feel that it was worth the wait. /phew! For all the details of each step of the project, head on over to my woodworking blog . Otherwise, click over to my LJ Project page and check it out.
Sorry for the delay. It’s been a busy week. For all the details, head on over to my woodworking blog . In the meantime… here’s the next set of progress images… I finish assembling the drawers and fitting them to their bays. Not piston-fit, but as close as I’ve ever come. I can’t stress how important it is to take your time at this step. Take super light passes off the sides of the drawers and keep retesting the fit to the point of insanity. As so...
And we’re back! Our specials today are: Carbide-tipped bandsaw blades with a side of Stickley’s Aurora finish. For appetizers we have some bookmatched door panels and invisible hinges. Our entree this evening is a large stack of hand-cut dovetails. For all the details, head on over to my woodworking blog . In the meantime… more photos! I bought a Lennox Trimaster Carbide-tipped Bandsaw BladeNot pictured, but it’s super amazing! Makes my bandsaw cut like a t...
Welcome back to one woodworker’s flirtation with insanity by way of making a Jewelry Armoire for my wife. I’m happy to say that I and all of my new personalities are really glad to be done with this project. For all the details, head on over to my woodworking blog . In the meantime… on with the show! I didn’t want to use a table saw to cut these grooves, so I had to make a sticking board I got a little overzealous with the plow plane, slipped, and cut m...
I completed the project last night at 9:30pm but was too tired to take decent photos. In the meantime I’ll entertain you with a few highlights from the past 8 months. If you want the full details, feel free to head on over to my woodworking blog Quadrilinear legs and a dovetailed top frame: Beaded & Shiplapped backer boards: My ridiculously detailed Gantt Chart project timeline Flattening the top Carefully marking the mortise locations on e...
Hi everybody, I’ve been attempting to record as much of the process of designing and building a Jewelry Armoire / Lingerie Chest of drawers as I can manage. The effort to document the work on my personal site is already substantial, so I wasn’t able to duplicate the blog posts over here. I started this project on 11/1/2013 and am 2 days from completing it. I’ve lived with this project in my brain for so long now that I have mixed feelings about being done with it. It&...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1466 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1490 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries