It’s time to let the creative juices flow again! Thousands of LumberJocks, five sponsors, a whole bunch of amazing prizes and one category. That’s the summary of our LumberJocks Woodworking Awards Summer 2010. Our goal is, as always, to highlight the creativity of all woodworkers – regardless of skill level – through the use of materials that are available to all. So here is the Summer 2010 topic: Fluidity – “Like grasses swaying in a summer breeze, the fl...
My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #18: The Road Trip Did Wonders! I Can't Wait to Get Moving!
Well, after taking the day on Saturday and trying to get some random things around here done on Sunday, its back to some full force work for me. The road trip was really nice. We couldn’t have picked a better day. It was bright and sunny and there was one point in the afternoon where we actually had to put the top up on the car because it was so warm. That’s highly unusual for Nova Scotia and it was one of the hottest days I can remember in the six years I have been here. P...
Interesting story on how I ended up at lumberjocks. I told it once but I will give it a brief retelling at it is somewhat relevant to the current project I am working on. I won a dremel a couple months ago through facebook. One of the fellow “fans” of the Dremel facebook community is a talented carver named Jordan Straker. Jordan and I exchanged a few messages and he encouraged me to join this community (God bless you Jordan for doing so!). I am a big fan of Jordan and I let hi...
I cut the gears as best I could… using a sprocket as a template, I traced the outline of 6 teeth onto some paper. I then traced it onto the clock. i didn’t have a drill press, or the right size bit, so I free-handed the holes, then used the band saw, and the dremel. It went back on the lathe to turn off the gouges I made with the drill, and to get a final sanding on the face. I used Minwax furniture wax. click on the image for a full sized version.and waxed:
Well folks, it has been quite a while since I’ve been able to get on here and talk about the project. If you haven’t read any of the previous blogs, this is a wine rack that I built for my brother’s wedding. If you want the basic construction, see the prior posts. From here on is the little decoration details… I hope I don’t have too many pictures ;). I think I’ll let the pictures do some of the talking for me but I want to capture the whole process....
Sunday was my wife’s and my 29th anniversary. She got earrings and necklace and I received a Dremel 400 with a bunch of accessories. Lots of happiness around the Sawdustonmyshoulder house. This morning in the shop, I sharpened 5 – 1/2 inch 4 tooth bandsaw blades with my new Dremel tool. Worked like a charm. $175 worth of bandsaw blades saved from the trash. Take a look at this blog site about how to do this. I saw it several months ago but I didn’t have a Dremel. This ...
As usual, LumberJocks has shown an interest for the photos that we really don’t want to share! So, I reluctantly post this first sad attempt of an Eagle here…NOT in my projects. I do agree with my hubby that Eagle #2 is much better! Oooh, I hate it when he’s right! ;~)
So among the few shotcuts that were made by providing the R4511 at the market price was the fact that it only came with a splitter+integrated blade guard but no additional low profile riving knives (for non through cuts). for the price this saw comes at – one can’t complain, and the fact is- it does have a riving knife mount system which is a good base to start with. solution: homemade riving knife made out of 1/8” plate of 6063 aluminum: EDIT: If I’d do this again,...
Well Folks, it’s been a super-productive day for me (as productive as a full time student with a part time job, a ministry, a woodworking hobby and a girlfriend can be :) ). Before I glued up the rails to the legs I had to take care of some cosmetic details. I measured 1” from every outer bottom corner of the legs and up 3” in the opposing side. I drew a line to connect these marks on the edges and cut them out on the band saw for the foot detail. As you can see, the b...
Hey guys! Taking advantage of the long weekend here in Canada, (so this was last weekend) I made a better base for my dremel. I was taking it apart to see why it was squeaking (trapped sawdust) when the idea hit me – drill the existing screw holes all the way through the body, and get a longer screw to hold the dremel together (like the old screws) and hold the dremel to the base. Well, I didn’t have a screw quite that long and thin, but I did have some short screws of the correct diameter. S...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries