Let me start by saying that the first part of this blog although posted earlier today, was actually made about a year ago, I just posted it today as a preceding part to the one you’re reading now… tried not to double post and ‘push’ other’s from the blog front page, so I waited half a day between 2 posts, although both were made ready at the same time. to continue the story were I left off, what I found most difficult with setting up the box was the box joints...
I finally got some time back in the shop. I calculated the size of the outfeed table, had a friend with a cold press laminate both sides of a sheet of MDF for me, I cut it roughly to size and set it aside to finish up the base cabinet. I lost some photos somewhere for the middle of this process, but once my blade storage shelves were sanded out, I turned some purpleheart center dowels on the lathe for the blades to sit on. I made two sizes, one for the 10” blades, and one for the...
I worked a 12-hour day in the shop today! I just had to finish getting those drawers in. Building the Drawer Boxes This is the 1/2” Beech for the drawer sides: I chopped it up and then machined the dovetails on my router table: Dovetails done: Assembling the drawer boxes: Glue up Installing the drawer boxes It took me a while to figure out how to install the Blum hardware. But it looked good when It was in: And then the drawers w...
“Size matters on drawers” Time to get down to the drawers. It’s kinna like getting into the underwear (not in a dirty way) of the cabinet. Call it the “Fruit of the Loom?”.When making drawers, size matters, so I will work on getting every 1/8” I can (or mm for you, Europeans). The first step is making the face frame thin. Or in this case, no face frame, just 3/4” thick dividers. European style cabinets are a good way to do this, I just don’...
This is my next project, a wooden mechanic’s style tool chest and I will have a matching top to go with it. All in all I expect about 30 drawers. At least I bought enough of the handle material to do so. My plan is full extension drawer slides. 2 1/2” drawers except for the bottom 2 rows. The top chest will have a hinged lid with shock absorber supports. If I’m going to drop a grand on a nice toolbox, I might as well build it, is my thinking. My question for the mass...
I had a little bit of time this afternoon to work on the little case… I keyed the miters with walnut: Glued up the dividers: and, cut out the all the drawer parts: I’ve got drawer bottom stock prepared from the first day (in the background of the photo above), so my next step will be to cut the joinery for the drawers. And, since this is supposed to be a quick and dirty project, I’m going to rout the drawers with a drawer lock bit. Like this:
I had some time in the evening to continue on my little case… I was able to get the drawer lock joints cut on the four little drawers. Fortunately, I set this up the other day. Without instructions, it took me a little longer than it probably should have. Once you dial in the height for a good fit, it’s all in the fence adjustment. Pretty decent little machine joint, that’ll be a lot faster to perform the next time: Next up, I cut the grooves for the bottoms (on the ...
Drawer Parts Galore I started by squaring some panels to the width of the drawers. To save time I rabbeted the entire panel. Later I would rip them to create the sized drawer fronts. Testing the drawer front fit. You can see the drawer pieces in each cubby awaiting their fronts. The backs of the drawers are held by dadoes 1/2” in from the back of the drawer. I got to spend some quality time with the new crosscut sled.If you squint you can see that there is another 1/2”...
Had some shop time today with 42 degrees outside, it was quite a lovely day. my compressor came back to life also – I guess when it goes below 40 the air is too thin for the compressor to be able to raise the pressure in the tank. I also got the radiant heater from Lee Valley. Last time around, by the time I decided to order it- they were out of stock, and just received new stock this week. it works well, not as well as I was hoping for, but decent. To turn it on/off you have to yank...
When I read about challenge 04 in Popular Woodworking Newsletter my first thought was to give it a try. The next thought was to design something that didn’t look like a box. Then I remembered that I had turned a square book case 45 degrees and put it into a corner. From there I took inspiration from other project I have built. A Corner Pantry Cabinet I built for my daughter and a reproduction of a 200 year old spice box that I built for my wife. When you add to that my enjoyment of carving...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1269 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1291 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 371 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 312 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 162 entries
- stefang - 149 entries