So a year or so ago, I learned a little tip on an install at work. I’m not sure how known this is, but thought I would pass it along. We were installing a signage system for HSBC bank and had to paint an orange square behind everything. We taped the box off, and were told to put some matte white paint down first to prevent bleed-through at the edges. We brushed on some white at the tape line, then painted the orange, and had crisp, straight lines when we peeled off the tape. I rec...
This is my next project, a wooden mechanic’s style tool chest and I will have a matching top to go with it. All in all I expect about 30 drawers. At least I bought enough of the handle material to do so. My plan is full extension drawer slides. 2 1/2” drawers except for the bottom 2 rows. The top chest will have a hinged lid with shock absorber supports. If I’m going to drop a grand on a nice toolbox, I might as well build it, is my thinking. My question for the mass...
As I said in an earlier post, this is uncharted territory. I’ve built a wall unit and I’ve built a canopy, but never combined them both. I wanted to design this canopy so that I didn’t have to rely on fasteners to keep things from falling. I wanted each board to rest on another. The sides of the canopy rest on the headboard and the post. The footboard rest on the post. Each of them have a ¾” offset on the inside for the mirror grid to rest on. The mirrors will also rest on that same ...
The wall is up! I have the piers, headboard, and light bar built and temporally set up in the shop. The headboard I spent a lot of time on. It has a cut out top that slops inward and a storage section in the lower section in the headboard (see pictures below). I’m going to do something really cool with that storage section so keep watching this blog. The light bar was straight forward, but I had to figure out how I wanted the canopy to attach later and where the mirrors would actua...
I now have the singles finish up. You can see the final post at http://lumberjocks.com/projects/18514 . Here is the drawing and finished product: The only thing I changed was the two doors into just one big one. The two smaller doors looked too small for the size of the opening. Now I will be working on the two styles of bunk beds. Before I left two weeks ago, I made the prototypes and cut out the parts. While I was gone. I had my crew prep and sand everything for me. Hopeful...
Started cutting out the parts to the 9 additional single beds only and WOW that is a lot of cutting. I figured 522 pieces (58 each). The drawer have the most at 423 (47 each). I didn’t just cut and rip them, some had to be edge banded and then comes the sanded. I got 2 days to work. I will be going to Church camp for a week. I’d like to have the headboards built and the drawer units ready to assemble before I leave. The week I’m gone, hopefully my crew can get the d...
Like I said in the last blog, I don’t usually make prototypes. But since there will be so many, I wanted to work out as many unforeseen details as I could. I did finish up the first one of the three styles. This is the largest group with 10 beds. After building this first one, I only found a couple thing I wanted to change. First I inset the drawers under the platform about 2” on each side. After getting it set up, I feel it would look better with only a ¾” inset of the drawers. Thi...
I am building a total of 17 beds for the Chi Omega Sorority house. There will be 10 single beds and 7 bunks. These bed are a different design. The regular singles will have a 80” tall headboard with just a couple shelves. They will have 23” tall drawer units on one side and doors on the other side and the foot for larger storage. The bunks will be built with a solid panel on the foot and a headboard similar to the single beds. They will all be built from maple wood with just a clear...
I’ve just finished cutting the tails out with the hand saw. Here I am working on chiseling the tails to the lines that I marked out with a marking guage. I had some troubles getting them to fit with no gaps and realized that I hadn’t chiseled enough of an angle out so that the edges fit snugly. After doing that they fit great. I have the faces of both drawers matched so that it hopefully looks like they come from the same board. I marked inside the joint with numbers so that I kne...
I am about to start on a boat bed. This is one that I’ve built several times. This one is a little different. The customer doesn’t have room for the foot (Bow) of the bed so I am making it as a stand alone toybox that can be pushed up to the foot of the bed when they have room. Also the customer wanted to add portholes down the side. I’ll have 3 on each side. Instead of the trundle there will be three drawers. I will also build a 5 drawer chest and a 2 drawer nightsta...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 115 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries