This blog starts half way through my journey. The story goes like this… I took the plunge and offered to take on renovating my in-laws’ 42 year old kitchen last spring. I say ‘starting’ last summer because I am now, as of Feb 2011, in the middle of what appears to be a 12-16 month project. The good news is that my wife’s folks are very flexible in allowing me to work at my own pace fitting nicely with the fact we have a busy life with kids, jobs, etc… ...
Today I was able to resaw some 3/4” boards to make the 3/8” (slightly less) material for the drawers, cut the parts, and joinery, and put it all together for a dry fit. I had originally planned on having 9 individual drawers in the center compartment, but for lack of materials and time, I ended up making 3 large drawers and I’ll put dividers in those and see how it goes, for ease of use it might be better to make 3 smaller boxes for each drawer so that each one can be tak...
How is it that something so simple can cause so much grief? I had it all worked out in my head and everything was going fine until I made one stupid mistake . . . actually I made the same mistake 16 times. I was not happy when I discovered what I did . . . actually DW saw it first and I’m glad she did as I would have had to do a whole lot of deconstruction to fix the errors if she was not there to pick up on it. Watch the video. Its all fine now. :-)
What do you know, I was able to use the last 3 days for some extra shop time! As planned, I cut the drawers parts on day 1 (not a full day, but it did happen on the first day). On day 2 I was able to build the drawers and glue them up. The plan was to use half blind dovetails for the solid maple fronts. I must say, making these many dovetails at such a small scale was exhausting (but good practice)! the joints improved from one drawer to the next, not all perfect, but considering the scale...
I finally got some time back in the shop. I calculated the size of the outfeed table, had a friend with a cold press laminate both sides of a sheet of MDF for me, I cut it roughly to size and set it aside to finish up the base cabinet. I lost some photos somewhere for the middle of this process, but once my blade storage shelves were sanded out, I turned some purpleheart center dowels on the lathe for the blades to sit on. I made two sizes, one for the 10” blades, and one for the...
Just a reminder French Fri Friday is when I showcase some of the smaller things that often get overlooked. End tables are something that can be sold as in a pair or will even work by itself. One thing that I have learned is that to make one more versatile it is best to design and finish it where it can be view for all sides. With the need for surfaces in the middle if the room, next to a mid-room sofa, most unfinished end table will not work easily. A little planning ahead and a little mo...
In the process of building my Torque cabinet, I decided to try some dovetail drawers for the first time.I figure even if I screw them up…they are for me, so no cares about messing them up. Back up the story, last February my husband bought me the Woodline Ultimate Joinery Deluxe Combo System when we were at the Woodworking show in Springfield MA. This is the set hereThey had a show special and the system came with nine template sets, six were a bonus, and the show price was I think $...
I have done videos in the past about how I handle hand cut dovetails for drawers, so for this current project I decided it didn’t make much sense to just highlight the same techniques. Instead, I focused on several challenges I faced with this most recent set of drawers, ranging from some tricky grain to sharpening fatigue. This won’t teach you how to build a drawer, but you might find a few tips you can apply in your shop.
I worked a 12-hour day in the shop today! I just had to finish getting those drawers in. Building the Drawer Boxes This is the 1/2” Beech for the drawer sides: I chopped it up and then machined the dovetails on my router table: Dovetails done: Assembling the drawer boxes: Glue up Installing the drawer boxes It took me a while to figure out how to install the Blum hardware. But it looked good when It was in: And then the drawers w...
Guys(and gals!) here is the project I am currently woking on;Seems like forever ago when I built these case sides, I selected these cherry boards from different logs. That in itself took some time, the ribbon curly cherry is not so abundant as some other figured species. Anyway I kept my eye out and finally found enough, and got it dry, I air dried the lumber in my shop using dehumidifacation methods, while hand selecting the drawer front boards. They all have the ribbon curl as well. I just ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1266 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1288 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 370 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 161 entries
- stefang - 148 entries