So heres the finished thing. You can see it open in the pictures on the bottom. Better pictures soon to come. The drawers are an important part of my design because of my mother. When I was younger she taught my older brother and myself how to play canasta, and always had two nice decks of cards to play, unfortunately we were not the cleanest while playing and the cards almost always got ruined. Eventually she started to hide the cards. It came to the point where she would burry the c...
So here it is, the final glue up. I over clamped to be safe, not in the sense of clamping pressure but as far as where I was clamping. This glue up entailed gluing all 4 sets of tails and pins with the mitered front (all the same piece) of the carcass as well as gluing in the center of the floating panel. By glueing the center of the panel I control the movement of expansion and contraction to both edges, ensuring the gaps always stay very close to the same, also keeping them as smal...
I have finally completed the case. What took so long was making each drawer. Because I am still new to woodworking I make little mistakes here and there. These mistakes made it impossible to cut out all the pieces for each drawer in uniform size. I had to custom size each drawer. I have none the less completed them all have moved all of my board games into the case, which fits perfectly. I am going on a road trip and will be bringing my new case with me. So the case will be getting a real tes...
Well I had to go back and re design the case once again. I got a comment from Mark Shymanski asking if the boards to these games fit in the case. I of course went and got my board games to test the fit out and realized that a few of them where a bit larger then the case. I had originally designed the case to have enough space between the closed drawers and the sliding front to fit large boards. But in the process of making the case I forgot about this detail. I decided I would go back and ...
I got a 8’ 1” x 10” board and cut 2-14” sections and 2-26 1/2” sections. I ripped one of the 26 1/2” boards 3” in to create the top lid. After nailing the pieces together I was about to work on getting proper dimensions for the interior drawers. I decided before finished the day off I would make a test drawer. I created the front, back and both walls. I then decided I would make them box joint together and it worked out very well, since it was my firs...
As you may know I love board games. When I plan a board game night at someones else house I must find a large cardboard box and pack in 4 to 5 games boxes to take. So I thought I should create a case that can hold multiple games and pieces for easy transport. After looking at my ideas I have decided on this design.
I don’t normally do prototypes, but when your doing several beds you may want to work out the bugs before you get into mass producing the parts. It’s a prototype and a selling item. I haven’t really sold the job yet. I’m pretty sure I will and if I don’t, I’ll leave this on on the showroom floor as an example of my work. I always need more of my stuff in our showroom. This one will probably stay on the showroom floor. This is finished with a standard ...
I’ve been sort of stuck with this project once it was time to get to the drawers mostly because for lack of material. I wanted to keep all the drawers made of same material and not pick and choose from what I could find at hand, and the only material that I have at ~1/2” thickness range that would make a good fit is some QS oak boards mostly 3 1/2 foot long: I ran calculations and found that If I went with my desired drawer depth of 14” I will not have enough material...
For me, this is a fun part of the project because it’s when things really start to come together. I didn’t get any photos when I built the top but I basically glued together two sheets of MDF and added some laminate countertop from that big orange box store down the street. I trimmed it with red oak, chamfered the sharp edges, and stained it with a combination of TransTint Dye and General Finishes Candlelight. The only unusual part about the top was an idea I had for mounti...
A video update of what I have been working on in the shop lately. Enjoy.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1265 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1287 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 370 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 161 entries
- stefang - 148 entries