So I used 2×1 poplar to frame out where I will house the router.. I will be using 3/4 MDF .. That’s next I will need to custom cut the MDF to fit and I’m just praying that I put the frame pieces in the right place so support the MDF and that it also looks symmetrical as Dara’s where the drawers will be going on the sides!
Got up fairly early this mornin. After a few cups of coffee and a shower I went out to the shop. I had cut, routed some roundovers, and stained/finished the drawer fronts yesterday. Was waiting for electrical inspector to stop by and give the thumbs up on my new service connection on the house (he didn’t show up till 4:30pm though said he would be there in the morning) I am all good on that, now I just gotta take the paperwork to utility company and coordinate a switch. Left bank...
In Pete Dexter’s book Deadwood, Wild Bill Hickok’s partner, Charley Utter, is thinking to himself, “He liked having a drawer, it was a neatness you could see just sliding it open.” Making drawers requires a precision and calm missing from some other jobs around the shop. Cleaning out the dust collector comes to mind. Or hand planing some misbegotten wood like a rowed grain khaya. Drawer building on the other hand needs careful measuring, straight parts, and clear thinking to do a good job....
Well, there wasn’t much left to do. I’ve added false fronts to the drawers and a simple pull. I have rather large hands so I don’t like the standard drawer handles that you can get. I made some from some scrap wood I had lying around, and they seem to work pretty well, plus they contrast pretty nicely. The drawers are pretty square, but once you put the false fronts to them they are snug on one side and there is a gap on the other side. You can’t really tell fro...
this is where we were: made some drawers to fit the 2 outer openings, pocketholed and glued together 5/8” ac ply for sides, 3/8” ply for bottoms. used 1/2”x1” oak strips for drawer glides and after: when i get center section figured out and my other bench rebuilt with its drawers ill work on making some drawer fronts. had to take the left stamped wing off due to it not being level and not staying where i put it while trying to adjust it back. Its all good ...
After getting the switch installed in the top “drawer” area, I needed then to make two drawers below that, on the left hand side. I had two drawers that were part of an old entertainment unit that we threw out. I kept some parts including two drawers as well as drawer slides. The drawers were too wide for my router table: So, I taped the drawer slides into the cabinet and measured the width I would need for my drawers to fit: Then I cut the drawer, allowing for the side ...
So here it is. I am basing this project on one several other talented individuals have done. They include, but are not limited to, Zzzzdoc, Tedth66, and Spencer. I only have the rough outline right now but plan on cutting wood this week. I have the mobile base on 4” swiveling castors. I matched the drawer base to the same height as the original base minus 4 inches for the casters. I made the base 28×68.5 and recessed the cabinet one inch all around so once the drawer fron...
Time to build drawers for the bed.-----I am using a P.C. jig to machine the dovetails. Everything is pretty standard, except the bit I use, which is a larger 14 degree dovetail bit from Rockler. I like to set up two routers – one with a 1/4” straight bit, and one with the dovetail bit. -----I start by hogging out waste with the straight bit. -----The second pass is with the 14 degree dovetail bit. -----I find this two-pass method makes cleaner cuts, with less chance of the wo...
This past weekend I did a pretty massive and ridiculously stressful glue up. It wasn’t as bad as I’m making it sound but with how long I’ve been working on this chest of drawers, I just wanted it to come out square and solid. I’m pleased to announce that I was successful. Because of the magnitude of this glue-up, I didn’t bother taking any pictures. The biggest part was gluing the outer frame with the panels in place, and then while all of that was safely clamped...
It’s been some time since my last blog post on this tool chest, but I’ve been making changes and using the tool chest for the past month, really putting it to the test. I debated with myself for some time about what to do with the lower section of the tool chest. I liked the idea of having an open space (what I originally intended) because it’s easy to grab tools as long as they are in my line of sight. However, it was not ideal because there was a lot of space wasted and...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1465 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1489 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries