Hello again folks. Here I am in the home stretch. I say that but I know there are still a bunch of details left. I decided to go with drawbored Mortise and Tenons with no glue. The splayed legs on this bench make it incredibly stable as is so it’s not necessary at all. I also won’t have to worry about glue not curing well in the cold weather. The idea of not watching the clock during glue up is pretty nice to, especially on an assembly his size. The hole stress free thing is true in the...
The mortise and tenon is one of the strongest fundamental joints available to woodworkers, but there are a couple of ways we can make the joint even stronger and longer-lasting. One option is to simply reinforce with pegs. While this doesn’t really make the joint all that much stronger, it does help hold the parts together in the event of glue failure. I have repaired numerous chairs where the only thing preventing the piece from catastrophic joint failure was a small 1/4” dowe...
The process of drawboring has been mostly covered but I felt like giving a few tips in case this is in your mind to do on your table. The main thing is to make sure that the holes are spaced so they miss each other and are close to the middle of the tenon (mine could have been closer). Also make sure that the hole you drill is not going to be under the shoulder of one of your rails…simple mistake that makes assembly kind of hard. Your holes should be as close to the rails as they can be witho...
These posts haven’t been exactly chronological. For example, in the last entry, (about finishing the underside of the top) some of the stuff I did prior to finishing the legs and stretchers, and some of it I did after. But for the sake of giving better flow to this blog, I thought I’d lump stuff together in logical parts. I digress. My drawbore pin arrived from Lee Valley recently, so I was able to finally connect all these mortis and tenon joints. As I had previously menti...
I had thought that I previously finished the legs (except for mortising for the stretchers). However, after visualizing how the top would mate to the legs, I realized I needed to adjust the tenons on the two legs on the left of the bench. I’m going to be putting the left legs flush with the left edge of the top. I don’t want to be able to see the tenons from the side of the top when the project is complete. Using the table saw, I notched the tenons on the top of the legs so th...
Now that I know what the actual width of the top will be (23 1/2 inches by the way) I was able to cut the short stretchers that connect the front and back legs: I decided to try to drawbore the legs with 3/8” pegs since the short stretchers will be attached permanently. I had already drilled the holes in the legs so all that was left to do was to mark the location on the tenon so the holes could be drilled. I couldn’t get the stretcher all the way into the mortise for som...
I tried my hand at drawboring for the first time today, inspired by Peter Follansbee's hearty endorsement (skip to 10:00, and then 20:00 for the impatient). The project in question is a toolbox made from salvaged pine. I was pleased with how the mortised sides turned out, so I didn’t want to spoil the look with fasteners. Enter the drawbore: The perfect solution to cinch up those joints and make the pesky cracks disappear. As for the choice of peg material, split oak is common...
First of all I just want to say that I love the term “sliding deadman”. I think it’s hilarious! As a forensics investigator for the Edmonton Police Service (a city nearing a million in population) I have seen my fair share of dead men, literally. But I have never seen one sliding! Not even in the cold, snowy, icy winters that we have. But I’ll bet that if I do, I will probably bust a gut laughing while thinking about the work holding device on my bench instead of whate...
I took a short break from wood today since I will quickly run out of things to do until my new Tenon Saw arrives. One thing that needs to get done is to make some dowel nuts for the bolts that will hold the long stretchers to the leg. There are a couple of reasons I wanted/needed them to be custom. 1st was that I couldn’t find any that were sold separately from the bolts. Most of the “bench bolts” I have seen for sale are only 6 inches long and I needed 8 inch bolts si...
There’s a new post on the Little Good Pieces Blog: “What I Screwed Up This Week – December 29, 2010”. I have a drawbore blowout. Check it out! http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com/2010/12/29/what-i-screwed-up-this-week-december-29-2010/
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries