I started working in my shop thinking that I would apply my first coat of finish on this trestle table today, but I did not get that far. I decided to sand this table top instead of hand planing it further. I went through the several grits starting at 80, then the following in this order 120, 150, 180 and then 220. To remove the dust from each part I used mineral spirits with a paper towel. These pictures were taken following cleaning with that wet paper towel. I am still undecided...
I did not get this table completed today. I took my Annie to see Arrival this morning. Aliens came to Earth to ask humans for help. I’m not sure what they needed from us. I will need to watch it again with closed captions, or download the written script… You cannot understand what aliens are saying… These aliens look like octopuses. They also write like octopuses would by spraying ink in a pool of water.. Somehow ink spots are suppose to more intelligent than letter...
Right after she loaded all of her things into her new kitchen bureau, my wife was cleaning the sawdust off of her Jars of things that I had borrowed and putting them in her new spice rack. She glanced at the side of the refrigerator, which is just right of her new bureau, which sits between that and and her stove, and decided that she needed a utensil hanger there. What she described like a piece of plywood nailed to a 2x that extended out from the end of the cabinet where it came up agains...
Here are some more pictures of my workbench. I noticed a bit of racking along the length, so I installed these corner pieces. No more racking. You’ll notice, even though the workbench is not finished, it is already full of clutter. I was digging round for a drill bit, so I moved a bunch of stuff off of my smaller workbench to find it. It was not there. Eventually I will build storage for all of my stuff. Honestly, I could spend years setting up this shop. Maybe that’...
Next on the list was plugging all the screw holes and drilling holes for the recliner bar. I was considering making the plugs out of oak with a plug cutter but after making a test board with the stain and poly I planned to use on the project, I really liked the contrast between regular dowels and the rest of the chair so I opted to go that route. All the plugs were glued in and cut flush to the surface. Thanks much to my fiancee, Dani, for all her help plugging! I know she has a lot of ...
It has been a while since I decided to do a project that contained a lot of dowels and I now remember why. I hate working with dowels. No matter how careful I am, it seems like I cannot get them to line up correctly! This time around, I even purchased a dowel jig from Lowe's to help with the alignment and positioning. In the project, the rails are made by putting the slats between two styles. Two dowels on the end of each slat, times 10 slats = 40 dowels. Each rails connects to the ends...
I recently got a 6 foot length of sycamore which I cut in half in order to make a chopping block/table 3 foot by 2foot. Even after cutting in half the boards were so badly twisted that I had to split them length ways in order to flatten and plane them without removing too much material . The picture above shows the boards sawn ready for jointing and planing. I first of all flattened one face on the jointer and then put them through the thicknesser to achieve a consistent t...
While my leg vise hardware is still being machined to mate screw and the wheel I’ve been working on the legs. In particular got ready for draw-boring. My target was 10mm pegs (3/8” approx). I made them from rough oak stock: first planed it a little, then ripped into beams and planed square blanks about 11×11mm (7/16” approx), so I had about 1mm allowance (1/32” approx). Then I rounded them roughly with the block plane: At this point dowels w...
Not much progress since last time, but still some. First of all, I made my wagon vise a handle. It’s been cut from raw oak stock that I took from my country house almost two years ago. I started with planing it to be a square, then to be octagonal, then I doubled number of edges yet more couple of times, and finished with some very light sanding. To make end knobs I used my poor man’s lathe: Time after time I use it to turn knobs, handles and such: And here is my ...
Well after another two months of stewing I decided the best way to get rid of temptation was to give in to it and I bought the Dowelmax. Delighted with both the product and the service. As for the price… 300$ in the bank earns 2% after tax i.e.$6 a year. With inflation at 4% this means I was losing £6 a year….misery.Converting the cash into the Dowelmax means I have an asset which will last a lifetime, (or several lifetimes), appreciate in value, make/save money by using it on p...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1806 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 126 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 111 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1831 entries
- dbhost - 438 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 318 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries