I wanted to put a bolt through the stretchers in order to tighten up an seasonal slack that might occur with this bench. The perfect thing to do, (perfect only because I thought of it,) was to use two dowels for anti-rotation pins and then put a bolt through the stretcher. This is just a short blog entry today. This video is how I used Dowelmax to align the stretchers to the base. In part IV of this series, I’ll discuss the top of the bench, and move on to the skirt and vise i...
During my recent shop healing session, I realized I needed a better way to store my drills and chargers. This simple wall-hanging “box” did the trick. I also wanted to make the project fast and easy, so I decided to try out the DowelMax for the first time. The system is a breeze to use and produces strong reliable joints in just a fraction of the time it takes to create a traditional mortise and tenon. Fee free to download the SketchUp Drawing for this project if you want...
Hi Folks, There is alot of Domino support and bashing, as well as Dowelmax support and bashing on various woodworking forums. Typically the owners of the tools talk about them like they are just about the second coming. The detractors talk about their excessive (relative) price. The Domino “won’t pay for itself.” The Dowelmax is no better at 250 bucks than a beadlock is at 50 bucks. Usually stuff like that. If you read close enough or care, many of the supporters an...
WARNING! Reading this blog and watching the included video will take 8-10 minutes of your life that you will never get back! Bob #2 and I were meeting up last Saturday to attend the Edmonton Woodshow. The show had offerings from Delta, Hitachi, Steel City, General, Dewalt, Lee Valley, Lie Nielsen and a mixture of local guilds and arts and crafts distributors. Overall, the show was quite good. There was lots of machinery there and Bob and I were able to meet up with Jim Lindsay, inv...
My daughter’s birthday is fast approaching and I have had several ideas in the past month of what to make for her. I have gone from simple, to complicated, and now .. it’s somewhere in the middle. Actually, since it will be a variation of the Challenge Table, it really should fall into the easy category but I’m not that naive or confident to think that I will whip this together with a frustration and challenge or two. The first difficulty was deciding what to make it o...
I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to upload pictures on to blogs and this picture of a stool I made recently is a test of whether I have finally succeeded. As an aside the stool was made from offcuts from another project and all the joints were doweled using my newly acquired Dowelmax jig which I am rapidly becoming addicted to. Well fingers crossed and let’s see if anything appears when I paste the picture and submit the blog
Yesterday, I took my new TS Aligner Jr. and DowelMax over to a friends home. (I purchased both of these tools during my recent visit to Canada.) I was meeting with him and another Mate for a BBQ lunch and a chat about our mutual interest in woodworking. All three of us served on the executive committee of our woodworking club, so we have formed a close bond. I showed them the results of having calibrated my table saw with the TS Aligner by taking a sample of a perfectly fitted Dowe...
First,—- Tom—I know that since I don’t have pictures, it didn’t happen, but I’m telling it anyway!! Yesterday was a rain day so Rick and I went to the shop to play with wood.. I mean to build something. Since my daughter’s cats have moved in, they have decided that they like to spend most of their time outside now and so we wanted to build them a house. It wasn’t going to be anything fancy, just functional (well, as long as they use it, that is)...
I’ve decided I really like making paddles. Very creative outlet and not only is it artistically challenging but the dynamics of the blade design are really interesting as well. I’ve got 5 paddles in the works at the moment but #3 is different from my earlier ones. Straight shaft, teardrop, no laminations, dovetail. I added some geometric woodburning, somewhat primitive looking. It also has a channel, kind of the reverse of a dihedral feeding into the dovetail. Paddle #3 I...
Well, Christmas was a big hit, but I had to put a few finishing touches on the horse. Karson was observant to point out that there wasn’t any place for the little rider to put his feet, it needed ears, and it needed some finish on it. I mixed up some amber shellac flakes from Lee Valley in a 2# cut. Thanks Bob #2 for the math help on small batches. I was scratching my head a bit. First I used Dowelmax to align the ear blocks and to centre drill the top for the leather ears. I ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1781 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Toy costruction - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1806 entries
- dbhost - 432 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 307 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 235 entries
- Dave Rutan - 228 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries