I’ve been fiddling with wooden hinges, and can’t get good dowel stock. Epecially dowel stock that matches the species of wood I’m working with. I gleaned this jig from another Rob Cosman video. I took a 2” piece of walnut from the scrap pile. I drilled a 1/4” (0.247” actually) hole in it close to one face. I took a few passes through the drum sander to just show the hole cut. I chamfered one end to accept the workpiece stock. I clamped an old plane...
I frequently I need to cut multiple dowels to a uniform length. Some projects require only a few, while others – like the small race cars I make – require hundreds. In the past, I usually drilled an appropriately sized hole through a block of scrap wood, clamped it to my miter gauge, and rigged a stop block on my table saw fence to gauge the cuts. Although this worked reasonably well, ends were often splintered, and I never seemed to be able to find the block the next time I needed i...
Well, I never did have the time to post the progress of this project as the actual progress occurred but it was completed and now I have a few moments to finish up this series and check it off my list. This project was much more time consuming than I anticipated but a good learning experience as it had several challenges. I’m relatively proud of it and KT loves it as we have a closet again (our clothes have been hanging from a hand rail supported by the two sides of our loft balcony ...
I own a die and tap to thread wood but the diameter is 3/4” and this is a dowel size I can’t find locally.I have thus decided to try and build a rounding plane / dowel maker to create my own 3/4” dowels. A rounding plane is is like a giant pencil sharpener with a cone shaped inlet and an outlet bored to the exact size of the desired dowel.I never held such a tool in my hands and the only ressource I have is an old Fine Woodworking article I remember which gave 2 guideline...
I got a bit more time to work on my tabletop today and it is coming along! I think that the longest part remaining is going to be cutting the butterfly dovetails to keep the cracks from spreading. One edge on the bottom is a mess. It will take some time, but I plan on at least 100 years of service out of a piece of furniture when I build, so it will be worth it. I want to keep away from straight lines in this piece, so I used a curve to draw the edges of the table. The curve is adju...
Back at it….FINALLY!!!Considering my last entry on this project was almost 2 years ago, I thought I had better get going. I resumed work on my workbench recently. I had most of the trestle components laminated up (legs & feet anyway), so I started working on the mortises & tennons. I started with the feet, which required 2 big mortises (1 1/2” x 2 1/4”) 2 1/2” long. I drilled most of the material out with a 1/4” drill bit followed by a 3/4” fors...
Happy Fathers Day to all of my LumberJock buddies, and a belated Happy Mothers Day to all of the Lady Jocks! I am looking forward to using the LumberJock CyberToolShare feature to explore everyone’s shop and check out what goodies you all got for Fathers Day! I had the privilege and pleasure of spending the last two days working in my shop. I made a lot of progress on my cherry quilt chests. I am under a time crunch as these need to be delivered at the end of the month, so it was great...
I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to upload pictures on to blogs and this picture of a stool I made recently is a test of whether I have finally succeeded. As an aside the stool was made from offcuts from another project and all the joints were doweled using my newly acquired Dowelmax jig which I am rapidly becoming addicted to. Well fingers crossed and let’s see if anything appears when I paste the picture and submit the blog
They’re done. All 256 of them. I rethought and then reconfigured the jig a bit so I could keep the same reference surface when drilling both ends of the “rungs”. It went very quickly: That was the very first one and it took a little under a minute. 32 of them took a little under a half hour. Next I had to drill the mating holes in the stiles. I rebuilt the jig from the same parts, marked up the pieces, and started drilling: With some trepidation, I dry fit tw...
This morning, rather than exercising or actually studying for school, I went back to the garage to try to knock out the shelf. I was out there for about 45 minutes, and came in at 1:00 pm. I went out at 8:30. So my day was pretty well shot. I’ll hit the books this afternoon, take a test, and hopefully not fail. Here you can see I’ve got the face frame attached. I like to use dowels to help me keep everything aligned – plus I’m a little cheap, so I don’t wa...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1600 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1625 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries