My buddy, Kris Williams has to make his own Beetle Kill Pine dowels for various projects. See how he does it using a router table and a few feather boards!
I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to upload pictures on to blogs and this picture of a stool I made recently is a test of whether I have finally succeeded. As an aside the stool was made from offcuts from another project and all the joints were doweled using my newly acquired Dowelmax jig which I am rapidly becoming addicted to. Well fingers crossed and let’s see if anything appears when I paste the picture and submit the blog
I got a bit more time to work on my tabletop today and it is coming along! I think that the longest part remaining is going to be cutting the butterfly dovetails to keep the cracks from spreading. One edge on the bottom is a mess. It will take some time, but I plan on at least 100 years of service out of a piece of furniture when I build, so it will be worth it. I want to keep away from straight lines in this piece, so I used a curve to draw the edges of the table. The curve is adju...
Back at it….FINALLY!!!Considering my last entry on this project was almost 2 years ago, I thought I had better get going. I resumed work on my workbench recently. I had most of the trestle components laminated up (legs & feet anyway), so I started working on the mortises & tennons. I started with the feet, which required 2 big mortises (1 1/2” x 2 1/4”) 2 1/2” long. I drilled most of the material out with a 1/4” drill bit followed by a 3/4” fors...
I own a die and tap to thread wood but the diameter is 3/4” and this is a dowel size I can’t find locally.I have thus decided to try and build a rounding plane / dowel maker to create my own 3/4” dowels. A rounding plane is is like a giant pencil sharpener with a cone shaped inlet and an outlet bored to the exact size of the desired dowel.I never held such a tool in my hands and the only ressource I have is an old Fine Woodworking article I remember which gave 2 guideline...
Thanks to the cold weather and some other things that had to be done, progress has slowed on this project. Last week I completed the drawer boxes and rough dimensioned the boards for the top. Today I finished dimensioning the top and got it all glued together. I was able to warm my shop up to about 70 today for the gluing, but brought the top in over night so I wouldn’t have to heat the shop as the outside temperature drops. In this picture, the grain on some of the boards loo...
I frequently I need to cut multiple dowels to a uniform length. Some projects require only a few, while others – like the small race cars I make – require hundreds. In the past, I usually drilled an appropriately sized hole through a block of scrap wood, clamped it to my miter gauge, and rigged a stop block on my table saw fence to gauge the cuts. Although this worked reasonably well, ends were often splintered, and I never seemed to be able to find the block the next time I needed i...
With the horse finished (literally as in 2 coats of shellac) the only thing missing was 2 handles for the ride. as it seems the horses ears were a good alternative and worked well, but proper round handles would probably be more comfortable for younger ones and well, I have the mounting holes for them already so better put them to good use. My original idea was to use mahogany for the handles as I have a left over of mahogany that was my workbench wagon vise handle that was transformed int...
Here are some pictures I took of the mitred frame I’m putting together. These were taken this morning (Monday, the 19th), before I trimmed off the ends of the dowel rods and before I went down to the glass shop to get the piece of glass for the top. Since I’ve now come back from the glass shop, it sort of looks like they might have cut the glass a hair too big (I took the frame to the store so they could measure directly), but I’m not complaining̷...
In this time lapse, i’m building a trestle coffee table from Walnut. At this point i’m attaching the underside storage to the top of the table. The underside of the top and entire storage shelf has been sanded up to 500 grit and buffed with a wool pad to burnish and clean out the pores in the wood. What a shine one can achieve from just bare wood, its amazing, silky smooth! First I measure and drill the holes for the 2’’ x 3/8’’ dowels that will attach...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1808 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 129 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 114 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1833 entries
- dbhost - 441 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 321 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries