They’re done. All 256 of them. I rethought and then reconfigured the jig a bit so I could keep the same reference surface when drilling both ends of the “rungs”. It went very quickly: That was the very first one and it took a little under a minute. 32 of them took a little under a half hour. Next I had to drill the mating holes in the stiles. I rebuilt the jig from the same parts, marked up the pieces, and started drilling: With some trepidation, I dry fit tw...
I usually just finish the chess pieces one at a time. I wanted to be able to get a good smooth finish on them like you do on the lathe but still be able to turn another piece without having to wait for them to dry in between coats.This is what I came up with. I drilled a 1/4” hole into 3/4” dowel and inserted a 1/4” dowel to chuck in the drill. I drilled a 3/4” hole in the holder and used a round file to ream it out so there is enough play to let it spin freely. After ...
This morning, rather than exercising or actually studying for school, I went back to the garage to try to knock out the shelf. I was out there for about 45 minutes, and came in at 1:00 pm. I went out at 8:30. So my day was pretty well shot. I’ll hit the books this afternoon, take a test, and hopefully not fail. Here you can see I’ve got the face frame attached. I like to use dowels to help me keep everything aligned – plus I’m a little cheap, so I don’t wa...
I am building my first real piece of furniture out of ALL wood. I have made tables, beds and bakers racks, among other things, out of steel and wood with some glass. I have never used nice hardwood and made what I consider fine furniture. I have been working on this cradle for a long time. Not everyday and only a couple hours at a time. I have run into some problems a long the way and have chalked them up to just a learning curve issue. Most could have been avoided with better plannin...
My buddy, Kris Williams has to make his own Beetle Kill Pine dowels for various projects. See how he does it using a router table and a few feather boards!
I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out how to upload pictures on to blogs and this picture of a stool I made recently is a test of whether I have finally succeeded. As an aside the stool was made from offcuts from another project and all the joints were doweled using my newly acquired Dowelmax jig which I am rapidly becoming addicted to. Well fingers crossed and let’s see if anything appears when I paste the picture and submit the blog
I got a bit more time to work on my tabletop today and it is coming along! I think that the longest part remaining is going to be cutting the butterfly dovetails to keep the cracks from spreading. One edge on the bottom is a mess. It will take some time, but I plan on at least 100 years of service out of a piece of furniture when I build, so it will be worth it. I want to keep away from straight lines in this piece, so I used a curve to draw the edges of the table. The curve is adju...
Back at it….FINALLY!!!Considering my last entry on this project was almost 2 years ago, I thought I had better get going. I resumed work on my workbench recently. I had most of the trestle components laminated up (legs & feet anyway), so I started working on the mortises & tennons. I started with the feet, which required 2 big mortises (1 1/2” x 2 1/4”) 2 1/2” long. I drilled most of the material out with a 1/4” drill bit followed by a 3/4” fors...
I own a die and tap to thread wood but the diameter is 3/4” and this is a dowel size I can’t find locally.I have thus decided to try and build a rounding plane / dowel maker to create my own 3/4” dowels. A rounding plane is is like a giant pencil sharpener with a cone shaped inlet and an outlet bored to the exact size of the desired dowel.I never held such a tool in my hands and the only ressource I have is an old Fine Woodworking article I remember which gave 2 guideline...
Thanks to the cold weather and some other things that had to be done, progress has slowed on this project. Last week I completed the drawer boxes and rough dimensioned the boards for the top. Today I finished dimensioning the top and got it all glued together. I was able to warm my shop up to about 70 today for the gluing, but brought the top in over night so I wouldn’t have to heat the shop as the outside temperature drops. In this picture, the grain on some of the boards loo...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries