So heres the finished thing. You can see it open in the pictures on the bottom. Better pictures soon to come. The drawers are an important part of my design because of my mother. When I was younger she taught my older brother and myself how to play canasta, and always had two nice decks of cards to play, unfortunately we were not the cleanest while playing and the cards almost always got ruined. Eventually she started to hide the cards. It came to the point where she would burry the c...
So here it is, the final glue up. I over clamped to be safe, not in the sense of clamping pressure but as far as where I was clamping. This glue up entailed gluing all 4 sets of tails and pins with the mitered front (all the same piece) of the carcass as well as gluing in the center of the floating panel. By glueing the center of the panel I control the movement of expansion and contraction to both edges, ensuring the gaps always stay very close to the same, also keeping them as smal...
The new tool box at work. It’s not a pretty thing, but the design has a long gestation. Chris Schwarz has been promoting his conversion to hand tools for years now – and he finally documents the slow spiral in “The Anarchist’s Tool Chest”. He’s got a book, I guess I have a blog. Either way, I decided on a 24″ by 18″ by 18″ dovetailed box. The moldings and bottoms were nailed and glued on, while the top has a split piano hinge as it’s method of movement. Most of the dovetails are ...
Hello. I have now finished the tail vise, and today I had acually started work on the base. After I had got the dovetails for the tailvise fit and the pins on the guide rod I cut out the place for the pins to be inserted in the vise assembly. I then started work on getting the notches cut in the guide blocks for the sliding parts. Here you can see the guide rod in place, with the one guide block attached to the end cap with a notch for the guide rod to slide through aswell as a small notch...
Hello. Since my 7th workbench post I got the shoulder vise done and started work on the tailvise. This is a picture of the vise from underneath. I have the bench top upside down while I am working on the tailvise. I first tapped the nut in the endcap for the vise. If you look at blog post #10 you can see me making the nut for the tail vise at the end of the video. You can see the 1 inch deep notch cut above the nut which allows for the covering of the tailvise to slide over. A...
First step of a double dovetail is to cut a through dovetail on each side piece and then attach a trim piece. This blog entry will cover that process. So starting with the end pieces and a 6” piece of trim stock (same width as the side piece, thickness doesn’t matter). Install the two template strips into the positioning system (1 dovetail strip and 1 double dovetail strip). The dovetail strip consists of an A side which lets you cut pins at 7/8” intervals and ...
I have gotten a few questions (actually 3) from folk about to how create the Incra Double Dovetails Joints such as the one in this project: I will not be making a box in this blog. But a really good friend saw this box and asked if I could make a 14” x 19” serving tray in the same style. Maureen has been a huge help to my wife and I so I was happy to get a chance to make something for her. Obviously, first place to start is to get an Incra Jig System. I have the old 1...
So, I figured I should post something. I’m mid way through this cabinet and I don’t really take progress photos all that often. But here’s what I’m doing right this second. Specs: 2×12Dovetailed Baltic Birch constructionFinal dry fit before finishI just worked out a new logo and the badges are being engraved at Lollar Guitars, here on Vashon Island.If you don’t know who they are, check them out. Their pickups are amazing. I’ll post more during the f...
LJ’s, Last week I spend some time on some new joints. I want to build a build with dovetails but not the standard kind. What kind of joint do you like the most ? Thanks
Today I lopped off the extra 1” or so from the tops of the leg tenons (are those called horns?), which was harder than I expected. Then I chopped the dovetails on the outer leg tenons, which was easier than I expected. In case you’re wondering, I started the cut with my dozuki and then when the back of the saw started hitting the top of the tenon, I switched to the rip side of my ryoba. Piece of cake, quite honestly. I’m going to glue up the last four boards (two on e...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 220 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries