Check out the finished product here. Thanks for following along.
Finally got started on a box im making for my wifes mother’s ashes, i spent 9 hours on a sunday with spalted maple and my scroll saw and every evening the following week with a set of palm carving chisles and alot of patience, time to break grain on the ziricota, terrifying prospect on account of the price of the lumber, but…. Sooooooo pretty,It was originally my intention to dovetail the corners on it as ive never done them before by hand or otherwise and view this sk...
After a bit of a layoff as far as the shop is concerned, I got busy. Milled my stock First up was to cut the lap joints for the center of the supports. I set up my GP mitre box with a moveable stop and set the depth stop. I made the first cut on all the pieces Then the second Nice and tight!“xxxX” rated Next up, marking the tenons Then cutting them Not so good at first, but improved To fix my poor workmanship I mad a jig for my 71 Final...
This is how I dovetailed a replacement engine box for a clinker dingy.
I spent yesterday playing with my newest joinery jig – the Incra LS-Positioner Super System. Others have already reviewed the Incra and rated it 5-stars (and I agree with them 110%). So instead of a review I thought I’d tell you about the personal journey of 25 years it took to get to the Incra. My dovetail obsession began in the 80’s when I was new to woodworking and hand skills were non-existent. I had plans for a small chest that required half-blind dovetails so I went and b...
Note to my readers—-this is the secret project I’ve mentioned a few times. It has consumed my shop time since February. That’s why it’s been so slow on the blog for the last few months. Now that it has been delivered, I can post the details. Over the past week I have spent all my free time in the shop cutting more dovetails. I have, I am happy to report, improved my abilities and speed. The first joint, from the last post, took about 2.5 hours. The next one on...
It was nice using some harder timber for a change. Tasmanian Blackwood that I found on our river bank after a strong wind in 2009. I also changed from my usual 1:6 angle for softwoods to the preferred 1:8 for hardwoods.Very pleased with the results!!!
Flush with my modest progress in the last post, I decided to jazz up the little box some before attaching the bottom (which I have already cut and have waiting for installation). I drew out some lines and squares on the front of the box and made a nice little border on the top and bottom. Here’s the first shot, after I had already completed the top border. It went surprisingly fast. Took about 10 minutes to lay it out and 5 minutes to carve it. Then I drew the pattern for the bot...
Here is my first attempt at hand cut dovetails. Having never used a handsaw or chisels much I am not disappointed. I need give my chisels a good sharpening, remember to cut in the waste, and use some wood that doesn’t just fall apart on me. Thanks for looking and any advice is welcome!
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1542 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1567 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 269 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries