I wiped on two coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal yesterday. That certainly went easier for me than the amber Shellac did when I tried to brush it on this wormy maple. These coats of sanding sealer look good. I am warming up my shop so I can wipe on two or more coats today. Then I will probably spray on either clear Shellac from a can or a Spar Polyurethane to protect this blanket chest’s finish. I took a close-shot of the chest’s dovetails, and also its plinth. I do l...
I hand planed and sanded the lid that came out of the clamps this morning. I also sanded the base or plinth and the chest’s case. I fastened the base to the case. I firgured the best way to make sure it went on square and even was to set the base on the floor and then place and position the case on the base. Once I was satisfied with its location, I held it at that position on the base with four parallel clamps, two to each side. Then I placed the chest on my workbench where I could ...
With some projects you can see dramatic progress at the end of the day, this is not one of those projects. I have allotted roughly three months to finish the project knowing it was a huge undertaking. I will undoubtedly have to work on an order or side project during the time it is taking place, but for now I am just concentrating on the build. Like I said there wasn’t a big transformation today, but there was progress. I have all the drawer fronts dovetailed and roughly fit to their pe...
It is only Tuesday and I am tired. I have been feeling under the weather lately, but I made some decent progress today. I put the saw till aside for now and will get back to it when I am ready to carve the next piece as well in the interest of efficiency. I worked up a piece of Paruvian Walnut that had been sitting in the back of the shop for the case top and bottom of the tool cabinet. I chose to do it next as I wait for my bench hardware to arrive. I could have definitely used a moxon vise ...
I haven’t practiced sawing in a while. As if that makes any difference. It does. I will get to the bench and try my hand at a dovetail and I won’t know where exactly to put my feet. Or rather, I put my feet where I think they’re supposed to go and they don’t feel quite right. Or I don’t feel right and I’m thinking about how to stand instead of standing and cutting. First tail gets done. I start to cut the second tail and I start to feel that things are getting right again. I launch into th...
Hand cut dovetails are a pain in the butt. So some would say. I say differently. They are a giant . . . delight. Consider the dovetails below, cut by John in last year’s Resident Mastery Program. This drawer is pretty small. Dovetails are overkill for its strength requirements. And yet they add so much beauty to the piece. And these half blind dovetails are actually easier to cut than through dovetails. Hmm. Also think about the value of this hand cut work. It’s not just to hold som...
This has been my “forever” project. Yeah, I started this dresser last May. I progressed right up until early September. I have been following a plan i purchased from www.wood.com store. It is their maple with cherry bedroom set. Besides this dresser, there are the other bedroom furniture items: a sleigh bed, a nightstand, and an armoire or linen press. I got to the point of fitting the drawer pieces. These drawers were to slide in and out simply on the shelves and a plastic strip ...
Here’s my progress so far on my Traveling Anarchist’s Tool Chest. I got a very good deal on some wide Sapele so I decided to go with that. It’s starting to become one of my favorite woods. It stays dead flat, saws beautifully, and responds to the chisel very well. The interlocked grain, while a bit difficult to plane, I think will prove to be worth the effort in the long run. The crazy widths you can find it in are nice too! For the most part I lifted the dimensions from ...
If thy dovetail offend thee, cut it off! I decided to not use these dovetails that I have been practicing on. I read on two different articles that you should practice on scrap wood and not on your project (which is what I have been doing). Plus, I want the joints to reflect a similar quality/skill level as the rest of the project. So, I am “ditching” these dovetail pieces and transitioning to rabbet joints (not as strong, not as “flashy”, but adequate) with oak dow...
Pic of the tails (I’ve miss designated some of the other pictures in DT 2 & 3 I think – calling them tails when they were actually pins – doh!) on the second top piece. More tails – this piece really has a lot of resin in the knots – smells good, but gums up my saw a lot. The resin makes the wood almost translucent. Had to trim a shave off the pins to make it fit right. That’s a sliver for sure – all done with an old Stanley back saw &...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1693 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1718 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 402 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 286 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 203 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 190 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- Dave Rutan - 189 entries