This week has been all about getting the door frames dovetailed together for the box style front doors on this cabinet. This was a nice task to finally finish as it gives me a final dimension for the cabinet to see and start planning the base for. More on that to come but first the doors.. A couple weeks ago while finishing up the tambours I went ahead and ripped and cut to length the wall panels for the doors. So with those sitting around already all that was left was to get ...
Here’s my progress so far on my Traveling Anarchist’s Tool Chest. I got a very good deal on some wide Sapele so I decided to go with that. It’s starting to become one of my favorite woods. It stays dead flat, saws beautifully, and responds to the chisel very well. The interlocked grain, while a bit difficult to plane, I think will prove to be worth the effort in the long run. The crazy widths you can find it in are nice too! For the most part I lifted the dimensions from ...
Beginning dove tail number one. This is how I clamp it up to work on the end cuts. More saw cuts to remove waste between the pins. It doesn’t want to fit yet. Got start whittling it down – just now wants to fit together. About 1/3 of the way. Almost there! Finally! Not too bad for first dovetail ever.
It’s time to make parts for the six drawers. The original plans called for birch plywood for the sides and backs This would be a snap with 1/2” plywood, but I decided to use solid wood, knowing that it would require at least on full day just to prepare the parts. After re-sawing some boards, gluing up others and a lot of planing, the parts are ready. The Porter Cable 4210 from Lowe’s is the perfect tool for making dovetails. The great thing about this jig is tha...
It’s been a while since my last woodworking project, so I’m easing back into the groove with a new file cabinet. I have a piece of junk tin cabinet in my home office that squeaks every time I open and close it. I did some serving trays in Cherry, and really liked working with it, so my new file cabinet will be Cherry. I found a photo online and liked the style so I sketched it up in Sketchup and AutoCAD. The legs are 1 3/4” x 1 3/4” and the rest of the frame is 1&...
I created a nice pine bookcase with dovetailed joints on top, 3 thru tenons, and custom made molding. This was done using handtools (except nail gun). Check out the video and comment. Remember to like and share it to support YouTube woodworkers.
I’ve been wanting to try my hand at dovetails for a while – and beeing awfully fond of tools, I figured a dovetail template would be a nice thing to have for that purpose. but I also really like the idea about building my own tools and a dovetail template is very simple in design. However im not really sure I can yield my saw with enough precision to make a wooden one yet – allthough buying a dozuki really helped there. So I went with a different approach that gave me ...
By Joshua Farnsworth (Writer at WoodAndShop.com) I shot the above detailed Video of master joiner Bill Anderson at Roy Underhill’s Woodwright’s School in Pittsboro, North Carolina. Bill shows how to cut a half-lap dovetail joint that covers the bottom groove in dovetail boxes. This excellent joint not only looks amazing, but it hides your grooves! BTW, he used mahogany wood on this joint. View the original blog post here. Yes, this video is longer than my typical videos, but i...
I’ve tried dovetails before with the one back saw I had before – a $5 Stanley cross-cut saw. Results were less than stellar, way less, even disgustingly horrible, so I gave up trying until I got some proper tools. I got a Veritas dovetail saw and some dovetail markers for Christmas (per my specific request). I bought a vise and finally got it installed last week. So, I was ready. I had seen Christopher Schwarz’s article on doing a dovetail a day and I decided to give it ...
Our basement needed new paint and flooring and a few minor renovations. In our large “living room” or “rec room” I wanted to put up a beam with lights in it. Here is what I was dealing with:(Right side below:)(Left side below:) My original plan was to put a wood beam up against the bulkhead (lower) portion that contains some ducting. Because of the two vents in the ceiling, I realized that would be impossible without a lot of tearing out, so I decided to put the ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1558 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1583 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 275 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries