I have been dragging home interesting logs I come across in the woods from time to time over this past year, and I have amassed a sizeable little pile (ok not little at all!). Thing is, without a huge bandsaw or a chainsaw mill, processing the wood into lumber is a task hardly worth the enormous effort. I know, I’ve tried. I recently looked into power carving for the first time as a quick and creative way to make use of my …inventory, lets call it.With an investment of onl...
It has been a long time since I did any work on the wood for the workbench. It was Steelhead season after all and a man has to have priorities :0), I landed 3 in this, my first season. Now that the season is over, I have been busy processing the wood. The legs and stretchers were planed using the Dewalt 733, which was very difficult due to the weight of the wood.Today I hand planed down the last rough sawn side of the second beam that will be used for the bench top: Here you can ...
I retired last year and we moved from San Diego to The Southern Oregon Coast, we are renting out the SD house. I purposely left my old workbench in SD to force myself into finally building a new workbench as the old bench was not very good for hand tool woodworking. I love the design of the Roubo and knew it was in my future. There are no local lumber yards here that sell anything worth using for a workbench, just construction material. In my searching for a lumber source I found a family...
I’ve been banging together a few projects here and there over the last couple of years and have acquired more and more hand tools. My current bench is a Sjoberg Hobbyist workbench (on sale at Woodcraft when I bought it for $100). It’s worked well, but i’m sick of it moving around when I try to do anything on it. So off to the internet I went in search of ideas for a bench. I’m a WoodWhisperer Guild member and his Roubo appealed to me…problem is…I do...
Some nice, tight, parallel grain peeking through and some hardware impressions that should lend some nice character if I can leave them. Here it is after stripping. I originally wanted to get a set of benches from this; one large one and one small one for kids. Don’t think there’s enough unfortunately. Selected these pieces for the top. They’re jointed and ready for glue up. Here’s a rough sketch of what this will look like. A few details haven...
Well made a bit of progress today. Glued this down a couple of evenings ago and could finish mounting the locker bulkhead this evening. I’ve added the lid for the locker. I’m not impressed with the fit of the lid but I figure I’m spending too much time on it fiddling and I might just fiddle myself into winter without getting 816 wet. I’m telling myself its for ventilation so the locker doesn’t get musty:-) I did deliberately leave a bit of...
The Roof on our Apartment building sustained a little damage this past Winter. After the snow melted, I found the remains of two Slate shingles, out of the hundreds that are up there… The one in the front didn’t survive the fall, but the one in the back put me of a mind to make something, if I can only square it up a little…Back in my landscaping days, in the late “70’s, we cut tons of Granite for Walkways and Stairs. It’s a lot of work, but relatively e...
I’ve worked with wood and been interested in woodworking since I was a child…some 40 years. Until now, I’ve never had the three things I needed to really explore that passion…time, space, money. To start off, I need a place to work so I built a simple workbench. I found these plans in Woodsmith magazine. The construction is simple, inexpensive and sturdy…just what I need.
Since last entry, I’ve had time to both apply finishing touches, and get some shop time using the bench, and even put the first few battle scars on it. First up was applying some finish. I went with some Watco Danish oil (natural), and did about three coats, letting it dry for a day in between. I then put a thin application of paste wax to the top to help prevent glue & liquid spills from penetrating, but not too much as I didn’t want to make the top slick. Next up was a...
I’m still plugging away on the NF workbench. Weather here in ON has been cold so, it has moved inside for completion. My biggest hangup so far has been the math for the intersecting pipes. Everything fits in there – but it looks like I may have a hare over 3/4 from the benchtop to the pipe. I got a little carried away and made the well for the long clamps 12.5”. Next bench will probably be smaller, although my drill press fits in there pretty nice.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries