After finishing the face frame, I knew it was time to build some doors to make the station look a little more complete and also keep dust out. Because of the shop vacs, the plan is to only build 5 doors, that way there will still be enough airflowfor the vacuum to work properly. The first step was to route a bunch of pieces for the frame. When cutting a bunch of pieces that need to be the same measurements, I find it’s easiest to stack them up and cut all at once. Afte...
Today I piddly farted around and put the catches into the door frames. They are friction catches and needed to be mortised in. All turned out well there. They hold the doors shut really well and look nice. I had to take a break from the carving as it was killing my shoulders, not used to that hard work :) So I decided to get French..No! Not like that you sicko!French cleats. I milled up some slats to inset into the door frames with a lip similar to the back of the cabinet...
Today was a good day! I started out the day by taking the advise many of you had and added a third leaf inlay to the left door face. I then spent the rest of the day carving the door frames where they met the panels to facilitate gluing them up. This way I wouldn’t have to worry about possibly nicking the panels when I carve the doors the rest of the way. I got my hardware in the mail for the workbench!! Very excited to get it especially when I am so close to being done with the cabi...
So there I was chomping down my wheat-grass, vegan, soy-milk all natural, Tortellini for lunch (Hey I live in Oregon, you try going to Scotland and not having the haggis) So anyway there I was eating lunch, staring at the box I had just picked up from the post office. It had come!!! It was here!!! After months of waiting, my travisher had arrived! I ordered a Peter Galbert travisher and it was finally here. It was produced by Claire Minihan who did an amazing job. I think I was drooling over ...
With some projects you can see dramatic progress at the end of the day, this is not one of those projects. I have allotted roughly three months to finish the project knowing it was a huge undertaking. I will undoubtedly have to work on an order or side project during the time it is taking place, but for now I am just concentrating on the build. Like I said there wasn’t a big transformation today, but there was progress. I have all the drawer fronts dovetailed and roughly fit to their pe...
In the summer 1978 issue of FWW, Tage Frid wrote about tool cabinets.“Why bother making a tool cabinet when a crate with shelves nailed in would hold the tools? I believe if a person wants to make a living as a woodworker and furniture designer, a well-designed and executed tool cabinet is very important. It’s a pleasure to have a beautiful tool cabinet, where the tools are properly arranged and easy to find. And when a potential customer comes into the shop and sees a nice cabinet, half the ...
Hi All! Thank you again for clicking the link to take a look at what I have been doing with the Dart Board Cabinet Project. This last week was absolutely nuts and I wasn’t able to get everything done that I wanted to with the project. I was able to get the doors milled, glued, assembled, and finished up. Please leave a comment on what you think about the project so far. Recommendations on how I can make the videos better are always welcome. Enjoy! View on YouTube
http://youtu.be/_fvjrQYhadg Making the doors and hanging them.
I’ve mentioned it, and will probably continued to do so, in my blog posts a great deal about my shop. Details and highlights, project photos and renovation plans. Here, though, will sit an occasionally updated list of details surrounding the shop itself. The building and some photos to act as a springboard into my winter wonderland. Nestled behind our outport home, just 50 feet from the saltwater shore, is the workshop building. The images to the right are the views, left and right...
Back in 2009 when my “woodworking as a hobby” life was just getting started I became interested in veneering and marquetry. Problem was I knew nothing about marquetry so I used a set of router bushings made for inlaying and adapted a style of marquetry cutting with them. One of my early projects was a couple of doors for a new desk to fit a little nook in my home office. The text accompanying the project post says ” I will improve” so I guess the time has co...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1814 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1839 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries