Well it has been a productive month in the shop for my daughter. She has tackled some pieces for her dollhouse that she wanted to make on her own. The first was a small easy chair and yesterday we worked on two beds. The chair was her idea and came straight from the scrap bin, at this point the miter box is the easiest way for her to work on cutting the scraps she has been using and she is happy to be using it, just working on those muscles. :) The chair consisted of just two pieces...
Been installing flooring, wainscoting, paint, and fireplace. This is taking longer than I had anticipated. I am quickly running out of time. Here are some pictures. The fireplace is made of layered mdf. i then took a rag and dabbed on some joint compound to give it that texture. I think it came out pretty good. See ya next time…
Had a productive past few days and got all the walls cut out and erected. Here are a few pics of the progress. Cut some shallow dadoes to locate the walls into their locations The ceiling for the first floor had to exactly match the floor so this was done before erecting the walls using a flush trim bit in the router and the floor as the pattern. Now that the ceiling is done the walls go up. For these next 3 shots I layed the ceiling in place. It gave t...
Well, a few more days have gone by, do I thought I’d post another entry here. Last time, I mentioned the dollhouse kit that I need to build for my daughter. It’s a nice little kit, but it comes with some very thin plywood that tears out every so easily when punching it out of it’s frame… I’ve spent much time popping out the pieces and sanding the edges. My wife bought some paint in the colors that we determined my daughter likes, but we still haven’...
So the discussion in my last blog really got me thinking and for whatever reason this evening I decided to give dovetails a shot. I’ve never done any sort of locking joinery before… in fact I’ve only even tried mitred joints a few times without all that much luck. I figured it out. This is 3/32×1/8 balsa wood. It was just two scrap pieces I thought I’d see if I could actually do it. Determining that, in fact, I could, I set about making the drawers. ...
Hey everybody! Haven’t been able to make any progress on this project lately, due to lots of travelling and then the work backlash that happens after lots of travelling.. Last night I had some time avaiable and decided to work on this. I am using simple balsa wood for the frame of this. There’s no reason to use anything heavier. So, I glued together the base frame and then glued some heavy cardboard to it. I considered using wood for the bottom, since traditionally pl...
Today I took off the tape holding the table to the wall, and a little bit of the wallpaper came with it! Ooops! Fortunately I was already kicking around a plan for what to do there. I had these little mirrors, and I was going to use one of them anyway. But I had already been kind of pondering how to make it look like it wasn’t an afterthought.. So this was just perfect. Unfortunately I didn’t think it through too much because I didn’t know what I was going to use for the...
this is what the table looks like un-taped. I also added the inlay which I think ties it into the rest of the house really well. I have to say, there is something about the balance between modern and the traditional. This is what it looks like from above. So what I did to the sink was spray it with satin nickle paint and then clear gloss. It gives an interesting look when it is finished, I think. I like it. I encountered a minor problem with the doors upstairs. The epoxy I po...
Where we left off: I mentioned putting the epoxy on the main floor, and here it is. It looks great! :) It’s hard to convey in photos, but the wood really shimmers. I think the combination of shellac + epoxy was absolutely perfect. I think if I had just put epoxy on it, it wouldn’t have the same feel. The padauk in particular really shines – it has a lot of figure. It also bleeds, as you can see in the corner there. I don’t mind (and there’s nothing I c...
I made a bathtub. This was a chunk of mystery wood. I cut it down to size and milled out the interior. I painted the interior white. I played around with veneer. I’ve never used this before… not sure how I feel about it – would perhaps be nicer to work with on larger materials and/or blocks without tub holes in them.. lol I used some purpleheart for trim. I’m going to do some fancy trim to this.. not quite sure what. But it’s far from done. I thi...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries