I have been giving some thought to replacing the bench top on my small workbench. I have been formulating the lumber I will use. i will continue to use construction grade Douglas Fir, but I will not use 2 by 4s like I did when I built it from a Woodsmith plan. I deviated from the plan by making the benchtop longer and placing a vise on the front left side. Instead of 2 by 4s I will use either 2 by 8s or 2 by 10s and rip them to about 3 inches or as wide as I can get them after milling th...
Had a rough for for a couple months will little time in the shop. Some for obvious reasons, the rest mostly due to work. I know my voice has been out there in the forums, but the majority of the posts are done from my work computer as adverse to the home computer. I finished flattening the top of the bench and added dog holes for the hold fasts and the bench dogs. The top has been especially challenging due to the space in my shop. I don’t like working in tight spaces. I have about a...
I have finally achieved a new level of not getting into my shop. The Dust Troll under my bench just asked for ID, it’s been so long since I spent any time (other than a pass through to the garage door). I have a couple of weeks off from the job that pays for the fun I am supposed to be having in my elusive man-cave so I plan to get things moving. All joking aside, I have managed to do the following since June: turned my Rigid 14” bandsaw into Frankensaw with Kreg & Car...
Hello. I have just finished joining and glueing up the two doghole strips and the top slab. First I milled the 8 3/8” wide slab top to length by crosscutting it roughly and using a router with a straight bit and straight edge to square it up nicely. With the two doghole strips I crosscut them on the table saw. I was impressed to find the saw made an almost perfect finish on the endgrain. I then marked where the threaded rod will go and marked out the position of the dog holes which a...
Ah the pith. That very core of the tree, that for some reason, is remarkably unstable in use as lumber. The inclusion of the pith in some of the beams I have obtained all but ruins an otherwise solid thick chunk of wood. It really pithes me off. All kidding aside. I can probably still make some good use out of these beams, even the ones with the pith in them, with some thought into my cuts. I was contacted last week by an old woodworking acquaintance, Maxwell. He told me he saw my b...
This week life intervened and I didn’t get much work done on the bench. Just before I left on my trip I started to drill the holes in the side rails. I started by using a 3/4” auger bit in my drill press. Unfortunately I didn’t plan this step quite as thoroughly as I have done for the rest of this project. Mistake #1 not trying this technique on a pice of scrap first and instead drilling into the bottom rail of the workbench. Mistake #2: Not clamping the rail down to the ta...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 114 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries