Inspired by Jeff’s (Jcoulam) homemade cyclone dust collector, I decided to make one just like his. This blog is written to show how I built it. At a local home center, I purchased one 8”x24 metal duct, a 5-ft 2” PVC pipe, a 2” PVC elbow, and two 2” couplers for about $18. The first step is to make the cone. I tried to twist the metal sheet into a cone but just couldn’t make it look right and managed to get a small cut in my hand in the process. Ou...
After posting my Woodworker’s CNC Router in the projects section, I received several requests to show how I made it. I debated whether to post something here or just send them off via a bunch of links. I decided to show you the journey that I took over several years and ended up with the machine that was posted. So here goes. Do you need one? No.Should you build one? Probably not.Have I done anything useful with it? Not really.Is it cool? Oh yeah. In 2004 I stumbled on an Inte...
Ruler stop – nice and cheapAnd fits your ruler with guarantee..Ok That’s a promise, so I better keep it! You need: some scrap plywood, scrap hardwood, a thumb screw (or bolt), and a threaded insert (I used 5mm). Here is the result, so now it’s up to you if you want to follow… Find a piece of scrap hardwood.Make a size that fits your ruler plus a little on each side, and a depth that match the insert plus a little extra (I’m metric, so I will spare you the meas...
Hand plane fence DIY (for my no 3 and 4) BlogMaking your own fence for any metal handplane. I decided to take up the challenge of making a fence for my hand planes, this time I made one that will fit my no. 3 and no 4 Stanley and Record planes.The next one I build will be for the larger no. 6 and 7, but you can follow this DIY for every size. You need:Hardwood or plywood in a good quality.(A) 6mm thick; app. 20 cm (8 inch) by 15 cm / 6 inches (B) 6mm thick; app. 20 cm (8 inch) by 10 cm ...
The next and final version. I needed to address some of the problems that I noticed from before. Complexity needed to be reduced. Some of the racking and shifting needed to be addressed. I wanted to remove the concept of keeping all the skate bearings so tightly pressed against the rails. And it needed a face lift. So I came up with a new (is anything new?) design. I kept the leadscrew and motor combination along with the torsion boxes. I got rid of the box below the gantry to ...
Lately I’ve been looking around trying to find inexpensive ways to make clamps to use in the shop. I think of my purchased commercially available clamps I own two 3 foot bar clamps and three Quick Grip clamps, plus two old c-clamps. Bar Type Clamps: The first information I found about making your own clamps was Alex Harris’ video. I made one of these out of some second hand wood I had, though I did fudge the screw in favor of my own variation. Spool Clamps: I ...
Last winter Steve (kizerpea) posted this home built canister filter. It caught my attention because I had a large DC system in my Canadian shop that employed a bag filter. Having just done a canister conversion on my HF DC in AZ (how’s that for acronyms), I was all ears especially the part about using truck filters. .... FREE truck filters. It has taken me a while to get around to it but today I was at the point where that &%^$#&^# dust bag needed to be cleaned. I HATE clean...
Here are some folding sawhorses that I built a few months back and added them as a project. I had recorded the building process but was unable to get the files off of my camera to edit them due to a lost software, but I bought a new software so here is the video! You can find some more information like the cutting layout, dimensions, hardware and some more detailed photos on my blog, The Woodworking Trip. I really like these sawhorses and I have built myself two sets. One that I use...
Craftsman/King Seeley 9x30 Lathe #3: Measuring lathe speed with an ink jet printer and fluorescent light
After switching my lathe to a variable speed DC motor I had no way of knowing it’s range so rather than buying a digital tachometer for a one off measurement I used some old tech… a homemade strobe tachometer. A google image search yielded a variety of discs designed for measuring speeds from 60 rpm up to 7200 rpm. After printing out 4 papers discs I found my lathe is capable of 240 rpm up to an estimated 2,800 rpm (estimated because this method jumps from 2,400 to 3,600 rpm). I d...
A new life for a 1/4HP motor... is going to be a diy lathe! #2: change of plan, now a diy lathe and some parts for it
Hi everyone, after some thinking and a lot of recent lathe work posts in a local forum, I decided to go for a mini lathe like the one in shop notes 73: So far I got some of the parts needed to build the lathe, here are some photos: All put together as a test: I had some free time so I went ahead and did the drive and cup centers, the friend who showed me the magazine also has a metal lathe so he helped with the center points: This was the easy part, now I need ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1413 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 89 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1437 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 196 entries
- shipwright - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 174 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries