LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'diy'

  • Advertise with us
View Dave Rutan's profile

Violin Kit #5: Creating the saddle

04-14-2018 12:43 AM by Dave Rutan | 0 comments »

The only part of this violin kit that was not included, not mentioned in the auction description, not in the photos, etc., was the saddle on which the tailpiece anchor rides. I decided to make one from a piece of cherry that I got when a tree was taken down at our church.

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Violin Kit #4: Attaching the Neck

04-11-2018 08:44 PM by Dave Rutan | 3 comments »

First thing is to cut down the back button closer to the shape it needs to be. This will be trimmed after the neck is glued on. Glue is applied to both pieces and the neck is clamped into position. Not much pressure is needed for this. Where the neck joins the body, the gap is supposed to measure 6mm (or whatever the Imperial equivalent is). At the end of the fingerboard, the top of the fingerboard ‘should’ measure about 7/8 of an inch. Mine is a little bit hi...

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Violin Kit #3: Fitting the Neck

04-11-2018 08:22 PM by Dave Rutan | 2 comments »

The main part of this violin kit is fitting the neck to the body of the instrument. To do this a mortise must be created in the neck end of the instrument (the one opposite the end button end) that not only fits the neck root as tightly as possible, but also holds it at the proper angle and height. You start by cutting the overhand off the top plate, holding the neck in place for straightness and marking where it should go. Then you cut within your lines to a depth of about a quarter...

Read this entry »


View DaveFFMedic's profile

Recovering wood from discarded pallets

04-10-2018 07:56 PM by DaveFFMedic | 6 comments »

LOML asked me to make a pallet wood accent wall in our kitchen. I set to task of recovering boards from discarded pallets. I searched around and didn’t find any definitive information on the best way to disassemble the pallets. I did some trial and error and found the quickest way for me to disassemble them. In the following video, I show how I took apart the pallets in about 2 hours time. Enjoy. https://youtu.be/ZEX7xrofNHg

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Violin Kit #2: Small step, end button installation

04-10-2018 12:24 AM by Dave Rutan | 4 comments »

I decided to start by simply drilling and reaming the hole for the end button of the fiddle and fitting it in place. jj Next up, the hard part, fitting the neck.

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Violin Kit #1: Unboxing

04-05-2018 04:38 PM by Dave Rutan | 9 comments »

I decided to buy myself some education on lutherie. This is a kit that I bought from eBay, though it apparently is the same kit that you’d get from tomtop.com [link]. The body of the violin comes pre-assembled, but unlike the more expensive stew mac version, the purfling is already installed. I was actually expecting painted on purfling, so this was a pleasant surprise. I’ll need to create the dado into which the neck is fit and fit the pegs and drill a hole for the end button. The only t...

Read this entry »


View wrenchhead's profile

Table Saw Crosscut Sled

02-15-2018 03:51 AM by wrenchhead | 5 comments »

This is a must have in my shop. This essential table saw accessory will allow me to make accurate repeatable cuts on narrow work pieces and panels. I built a general use sled, fit the runners and square up the fence using the 5 cut method. I learned this method from watching the Wood Whisperer and William Ng build their crosscut sleds. Check out their videos for a more detailed explanation of the fence squaring process. Thanks for watching! https://youtu.be/dIQ4_vhq5NU

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Shopmade Luthier Tools #32: Brass violin crack clamps

02-13-2018 02:06 AM by Dave Rutan | 3 comments »

This is my violin posing with a set of violin crack clamps that I made with brass rod and plastic cut from a 1/2 inch thick cutting board. These function like flexible, light-duty bar clamps. I’ll meed to make another, smaller set since many of the instruments I repair are fractional sizes. Oh, no! Not more clamps!

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Shopmade Luthier Tools #31: Brass F-hole cleat clamps

02-09-2018 11:37 PM by Dave Rutan | 3 comments »

Who doesn’t love clamps? I made these 5 light duty clamps so that I wouldn’t have to buy them. You can get the comercial variety for $16-$20 each plus shipping. Mine came in at about $5 each. I made them from 5/32” brass rod, 10-24 threaded rod, nuts, a 6mm t coupling for air lines, and some JB Weld to put it all together. The cleats involved are very very small, designed to simply bridge a crack which has already been glued together in order to add some strength to the mend...

Read this entry »


View Dave Rutan's profile

Shopmade Luthier Tools #30: Scraper, well sort of

02-08-2018 01:15 PM by Dave Rutan | 4 comments »

I wanted a set of small scrapers on the cheap, so I made a set out of a dollar store saw blade. The quality probably isn’t like the ones made from real tool steel, but they do work. I’ve adjusted the shape of these since making them to reach certain areas of instruments.

Read this entry »


1 2 3 4 ... 16 next »
154 entries


DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com