A friend (and fellow turner) mentioned in church last Sunday that he’d watched a youtube vid of someone using a lathe tool with a curved end for easier access to the inside of a bowl. I had made him a carbide tool last year and he asked me if I thought I could make a curved one. He thought that because I have been using that thick 5/8” aluminum bar stock that I might not be able to bend it. Well, challenge accepted ! Here’s the progression of how it went….. The ...
Making up a bunch of oak dowel pegs. I use my old Delta belt/disc sander to clean-up the splinters and chamfer the ends of the dowels. Those oak splinters are a big pain! Oak dowels come in all colors! I keep the sets together and use them on the same joints as much as possible. Second upright on Saw Bench/Saw Horse No. 2 was out of square by 1/4” (diagonal measurements) – after removing the 48” pipe clamps, this is the resulting diagonal measurements: I c...
I am keeping this entry brief as I am a bit limited on time. I have heard many critiques of the Shopsmith over the years. I have always found it to be an ingenious woodworking tool for someone with very limited space. The tablesaw has it’s issues, which have been talked about in a million forums, but I have a tablesaw that I am happy with, what I do not have nor have space for is power sanding, a bandsaw, a lathe and a drillpress. The primary strengths of a Shopsmith in my situation ...
Please excuse the messy shop. I feel like I spend more time cleaning than woodworking and it’s still cluttered. Disc sander attachment for lathe. 8” MDF disc, faceplate is holly, glued and screwed to disc, tapped to 3/4-16. Part of a holly branch which usually wouldn’t be useful but I drilled out the pith to prevent checking, it dried just fine. Lathe tool holder from PVC pipe. I really like this. Initially screwed directly to the wood stand, I quickly reali...
I picked up some 6” psa sandpaper at the Borg, cut a couple MDF circles and attached them to faceplates. The stand is made from 1/2”x 3” black pipe and a floor flange. I found some 9” psa discs online so I can go a bit bigger.
I STILL dont think I’ve got this whole multi-part blog thingy figured out yet. So here I am trying to see if I can actually make a “part 2” ... which should actually be part 3 or 4. Anyhooo…. I did manage to finally build my shop made disc sander. YEA ME! On the first attempt I was using a like-new Baldor 110v / 1725rpm motor but unfortunately I realized it was less than a quarter-horsepower, so it was WAAAY underpowered. In just trying to sand the edge of the ...
I’ve been building a disc sander that is powered by my lathe it’s constructed with plywood, and consists of four pieces that have to be put together in sequence to form the disc sander. the first piece has a key that slips in the tool slot on the bed rail of my lathe it forms one of the chambers of the dust collection, it also recieves the dust colection shroud (or would that be called a cowling?) the first piece slides up tight to the power head on my lathe. The se...
Two months in, progress has been made, but of course, not as fast as I would of liked. Figuring out the motors and drives has been the most difficult part of this project. I have been trying to keep the out of pocket cost as low as I could, and provide the power and control that a sander project of this magnitude needs. I had ordered a 2hp 1ph motor on ebay, but that fell through when the motor was damaged by UPS. Since then, what I stumbled upon was a motor controller that uses 220v ...
Jocks, I need your help with determining the Drum diameter for a sander I plan to build. (see earlier post for image). The issue is that I have two options (sizes of steel tubing I have) for the diameter of the drum, either 4-1/2” or 6-5/8”. The design of my Drum/Disc sander has both the drum and the disc mounted on the same shaft. This allows me to drive both with a single 2HP, 1725rpm motor I have. The primary decision I am faced with is which size drum to build. The...
This did start out to be a simple shop made drum sander but it has mutated into something larger (and a bit of an obsession). I’m having fun just thinking about building it, the question is how well I’ll actually be able to replicate my design. Still haven’t located a motor since my last update, but I did mess with the design a little more. I added 4 struts to the table to stabilize it when it’s raised and lowered. I found some brass sleeve bearings that should fit...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries