Top finished Frame assembled Four-inch long T30 lags secure the top timbers. Laminated or not? By laying out my jointlines carefully, I was able to laminate some 8/4 and 5/4 together. The glueline is at the angle of the timber, so it is not visible. In addition, I laminated some thin veneers on both sides. Back to the project page… http://lumberjocks.com/projects/71281
I never would have guessed that cutting 4 mortises would take all afternoon. Because the mortises are angled to match the wedges, the fitting process takes a little longer than usual. I cut the first one by hand, then decided to cut the rest at the mortiser. Cutting past the layout line on the shoulder side of the mortise will ensure the joint pulls tight. Keys installed. A few taps on the wedges and the shoulders draw up tight. The keys were cut on the bandsaw. When the k...
End assembly joints are drawbored and pegged with 3/8” walnut pegs. I use this pounding block to set the walnut buttons to the right depth. The buttons conceal slotted screw holes that attach the breadboard ends. Next up is fitting the keyed tenons that connect the two end assemblies.
Cutting the tenon with a router and edge guide jig. This is the setup described by Gregory Paolini. It works well, the only trouble is you have to flip the table several times while sneaking up on the final depth of cut. I recommend cutting only the first pass, then flip and check the fit. Cutting all the way to the shoulder will make it difficult to support the router. The jig is clamped in place, and stays put while you flip the top. Double sided jig helps align the shoulders of t...
After pattern routing the long arched rails, it was time to turn my attention to the top. I started with 6/4 stock, all from the same log. Biscuits were placed every 6” to help with alignment and add strength. I once did an experiment with biscuits – joined two boards with biscuits (no glue) and soaked them in water for a while. I took it around to each family member to see if they could pull the boards apart—- and none could. I took the top over to Creative Woodwo...
Hello everyone. I have been busy making stuff and have finally finished a video that has been almost a year in the making. I made this video to be like a commercial for me and my work so it doesn’t give any tutorial. I do have a series of videos to be published soon that are more along that line. My goal as a video maker is to provide the viewer with an alternative to the typical format of woodworking videos; where a guy stands across the bench and talks at the camera, showing lit...
Anyone heard of Enzo Mari? About a year ago, when I first started thinking I would get some tools and get serious about woodworking, I thought it would be cool to make a dining table. So I started looking for plans. After a few searches I gave up on reading the text and just started looking at the pictures. And then I saw THE TABLE There it was, beautiful and ready to build. If only I had the plans. I read on, and learned that in 1974 Enzo Mari presented an exhibit of 19 pieces of e...
The table assembly is now complete. Since the leaves store in the table, the aprons needed to be hinged. I used short piano (continuous) hinges from hardware source.com. The hinges are 4.5” long, and lock at 90 degrees, similar to jewlery box hinges. I used inset rare earth magnets to lock the hinged aprons in there in-use positions. Felt lines the frame, which creates a nice little nest for the leaves. The table extends to accept two 12” leaves v...
Just finished up the leaves. Still going to do the undersides, but not too much work there – just a quick coat of 2lb cut shellac to seal it off. Here are a few more pics. Like I said previously I’m VERY pleased with how this shellac finish turned out. And the last step of hand burnishing is a must. I compared the two leaves (one with and one without) and there was a noticeable difference in smoothness of the reflection between the two. So – I went ahead and rubbed out th...
Greetings all, Wanted to post a little about the recent project. It’s not done yet – but wanted to go over some details here. First: Project is an early 1900’s dining room table. Needed some repair work and needed two leaves built since the old ones were not original and not well done. Client wanted me to refinish the entire table as well. He also wanted a color match. I decided to do the leaves first so I could do the color match before I stripped the whole thing. ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1465 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1489 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries