Which Wax?I bought a new kind of wax by Howards based on a recommendation from a friend. It is called Walnut. I compared it to the Briwax (Dark Brown) which I have have used previously. The Briwax is much darker. The Howards smells like citrus and claims to provide u.v. protection. It does seem a little more gritty, but applies smoothly. Here is a shot with one base assembly (right) finished with the wax. The other is not (left) Booooooooooring.After finishing the base and the under...
Top finished Frame assembled Four-inch long T30 lags secure the top timbers. Laminated or not? By laying out my jointlines carefully, I was able to laminate some 8/4 and 5/4 together. The glueline is at the angle of the timber, so it is not visible. In addition, I laminated some thin veneers on both sides. Back to the project page… http://lumberjocks.com/projects/71281
Plans I geared up today to finish the table that was started three years ago. I began by reviewing all of the original plans. Starting with the book “The Furniture of Gustav Stickley” by Joseph J. Bavaro & Thomas L. Mossman. This book is a great Stickley starter book for furniture making. I modified the original table by making it shorter in length. My old style drawings…..I also wanted to try a few new things in SketchUp that I had learned over at the Fine Woodw...
Hello everyone. I have been busy making stuff and have finally finished a video that has been almost a year in the making. I made this video to be like a commercial for me and my work so it doesn’t give any tutorial. I do have a series of videos to be published soon that are more along that line. My goal as a video maker is to provide the viewer with an alternative to the typical format of woodworking videos; where a guy stands across the bench and talks at the camera, showing lit...
Just a quick video where I walk through my shop discussing the projects I’ve been working on. http://youtu.be/XO8Ub3VQJ0s Thanks for having a look!
HistoryWe had a maple kitchen table that was very nice, but not the style we wanted for our house.After I made the mahogany coffee table, I was feeling confident to tackle something larger. Kristin and I enrolled in a “work completion lab” at the community college.I looked through several plans. I really wanted to make one with curved stretchers and a top that was held on by massive sliding dovetails. (I still want to make it). We decided it was beyond our skills. So we pick...
My wife wanted to buy a new kitchen table. After much convincing, I was able to convince her that we should spend that money on a walnut slab rather than buying a set from a big box furniture store. I picked up this slab from a local sawyer before I decided on the final design. Usually, I’m much more methodical, and work out the design well before I buy lumber, but I couldnt wait for her to change her mind :) Lucky for me, my neighbor owns a cabinet shop with a large Timesaver...
I spent the better part of the last two weeks applying Arm R Seal to the table. The table top got four brushed coats of full strength Arm R Seal on each side. Between each coat I buffed with a 1000 grit festool platin pad. I then wiped on a 50/50 mix of Arm R Seal and Naphtha on each side. Here is the top after the fourth coat: And after the final wipe on coat: The base got five coats of wiped on Arm R Seal/Mineral Spirits 50/50 mixture: Finally, it was time to attach the b...
The table assembly is now complete. Since the leaves store in the table, the aprons needed to be hinged. I used short piano (continuous) hinges from hardware source.com. The hinges are 4.5” long, and lock at 90 degrees, similar to jewlery box hinges. I used inset rare earth magnets to lock the hinged aprons in there in-use positions. Felt lines the frame, which creates a nice little nest for the leaves. The table extends to accept two 12” leaves v...
This blog will follow my build of a dining trestle table from WOOD magazine #28 (you can see how it looks on the store ( http://www.woodstore.net/trestletable1.html ). The trestle table is very delicate compared to most and uses laminated blanks to be strong enough. the original plan is “fixed” (not breakup) but i will modify it a little. OK, to work:after gluing up the blanks, I cut them roughly to shape on the bandsaw. unlike the plan that calls for exact cut and sanding i...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1728 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1753 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries