I want to make this table for a long time. But I had not self-reliance for this project. And some time ago I decided to make it. I used for this table sapele, padauk, wenge and ebony for plugs and splines.First I glued top of padauk. The sizes top 70”x47”x1 1/2”. I made template from veener and routing edge of the top. Then I routing edge with router DeWalt Then I made sapele edges with another temmplates For joint top and edges I routing groove for the biscuit joint. ...
I spent the better part of the last two weeks applying Arm R Seal to the table. The table top got four brushed coats of full strength Arm R Seal on each side. Between each coat I buffed with a 1000 grit festool platin pad. I then wiped on a 50/50 mix of Arm R Seal and Naphtha on each side. Here is the top after the fourth coat: And after the final wipe on coat: The base got five coats of wiped on Arm R Seal/Mineral Spirits 50/50 mixture: Finally, it was time to attach the b...
Well after many hours in my cold shop and a couple of trips to my neighbor’s cabinet shop, the table top is ready for finishing. I have to thank my neighbor, who owns a home remodeling company, for offering me the use of his cabinet shop. It saved me probably two full days of flattening the top First, I glued up the top and then took it back to the cabinet shop to flatten and sand down to 150 on their massive 54” wide-belt sander. They also cut it to length for me on their A...
A question was asked in part 1 of this series on how to flatten the top… I started replying in the comment thread, but decided to just make it part 2. I’m investigating building a dining table myself. What is involved in “flattening” the table top? Any special tools or large equipment required? I ve seen people use parallel rails and a router sled for rounds and slabs, I suppose that might work? As with most woodworking tasks, there are multiple ways to accomplish...
Nakashima Inspired Walnut Slab Table #2: Filling Knots and Cracks, Butterfly Inlays, and and a Start on the Base
I’ve made some progress on the kitchen table in the last few days. I started filling the knots and cracks in the top with epoxy. This is a messy job, and its a pain to get all of the bubbles out. I’m starting with the bottom side to perfect the technique. I burned the epoxy in one place where I held the torch too long trying to get the bubbles out. That just made a ton more bubbles that wouldnt come out. I also practiced making butterfly inlays on some scrap wood. Thi...
My wife wanted to buy a new kitchen table. After much convincing, I was able to convince her that we should spend that money on a walnut slab rather than buying a set from a big box furniture store. I picked up this slab from a local sawyer before I decided on the final design. Usually, I’m much more methodical, and work out the design well before I buy lumber, but I couldnt wait for her to change her mind :) Lucky for me, my neighbor owns a cabinet shop with a large Timesaver...
Day one on my new commission, a 6 to 8 seat live edge dining table. The log is about 75”, the 3 slabs are 2 3/4” thick, and vary in thickness from 28 to 39” wide. With the amount of cut off branch growth we expected some interesting figure, but all the spault was a complete surprise! Pieces will be sent to the kiln for 5 to 6 weeks next Saturday, along with a load of holly a friend of mine and I have acquired. In future posts I will share the working drawings for the table d...
Here is the finished woodworking plan. I could go on and on finding little things to adjust and fine tune, but I am calling it finished… http://issuu.com/jeffbranch/docs/apartment-dining-table-1108141 Get an instant download of the plan here (no tracking software is used with your download)... https://jeffbranch.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/apartment-dining-table-1110141.pdf I am already thinking about my next plan. I am leaning towards one based on a pine bible stand I made ...
So after much fussing with and tweaking of the woodworking plan I have been creating, I am just about finished with it. Actually, I was finished with it last weekend until I decided to overhaul the content of page 11 and spread it out over two pages. This is what page 11 originally looked like… I was never happy with the two images, one being a close-up of the other. With SketchUp, my illustration tool, as you zoom in to a particular part of a model, the perspective changes...
Just a quick video where I walk through my shop discussing the projects I’ve been working on. http://youtu.be/XO8Ub3VQJ0s Thanks for having a look!
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1808 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 129 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 113 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1833 entries
- dbhost - 440 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 321 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries