After dry fitting the legs and stretcher I moved on to glueing things together. Wedges were pounded into the tenons. I never really put much thought into making thin wedges so when it came time to make some, I was at a loss. I wound up using the tapering jig on the table saw to rip thin, tapered strips to use as wedges. It was probably not the most efficient or creative way to make them. Anyone have a good way to make thin wedges? Cutting the wedges off and sanding them smooth w...
Things finally are moving along, unfortunately, a little too fast in the case of the beveled through tenons on the bottom apron and the long stretchers. I forgot to cut the bevels on the tenons BEFORE I cut the arches. As a result I had to come up with plan B. As you can see from the picture, it entails a long fence on the miter bar and a longer piece of sacrificial wood clamped to the miter bar and the stretcher. Probably not the preferred method for cutting bevels on the tenons, b...
Finally feels like the project is starting to move along. Alex from Glass Heritage just told me the glass for the inserts have been cut. He sent some pictures so I can approve the colors. Meanwhile, I’d better pick up the pace if I want the desk to be complete by the time the glass is ready. Making smooth arches seems to baffle a lot of folks. The problem is that most arches require a combination of a circle with a large radius and just the right amount of flattening the circle...
Time to talk tenons. I’ve made tenons using 3 different methods, a router with a straight bit, a stacked dado on the table saw, and a tenoning jig. Tenoning Jig:I discarded the tenoning jig some time back because it was a pain to set up and keep things square. I never could get the miter bar tight but not too tight and keep things running parallel to the blade which made for tenons that were tight on one end and loose on the other. Long tenons were also a problem since the saw blade wil...
I’ve been doing everything but woodworking lately. Our oldest daughter started college, high school started, along with the girls swim season. It keeps raining and the grass keep growing necessitating mowing every 3 days or so. A thunderstorm last weekend resulted in a lightning strike on the house behind us (which started a fire) and caused an arc flash when the plug from our computer surge protector blew out of the wall outlet and cracked the outlet, tripped the surge protector, and ...
As I mentioned in the last entry I broke the mortising into 3 groups. The big mortises were made using templates and a router. Most of the smaller mortises were ¾” which were made using a ¾” Forstner bit and squaring up the holes with a corner chisel. Some what tedious, but a sharp chisel makes quick work of it. Any square holes that were ½” or smaller were made with a mortising attachment on my drill press. There are some serious shortcomings in the Delta Morti...
All of the leg pieces have been cut to length and marked for the multitude of mortises and tenons. Before I get into the details of what I did, I wanted to talk about options for cutting mortises and tenons. I spent a lot of time researching some of the new options on the market. I really wish I lived near a wood working store that had demonstration tools to look at and maybe even try out. The Festool Domino looks like a biscuit jointer on steroids, with a special router bit mounted h...
A while ago I made a customized shelf/desk for my church’s office, and some time later I made this spine desk which is a knock off of a commercially available one. (You can click on the photos below to see the project page for each one.) But now they’ve rearranged the office and instead of the spine desk, that person wants a booster desk to go on her desktop. Plus the person I made the shelf/desk for wants something else as well. I don’t mind the changing needs i...
It’s been a few more days than usual since I spent any meaningful time working on the desk. Weather has been hot and humid so time in the shop is more like a sauna than a woodshop. A single fan wasn’t keeping me cool and the humidity was wreaking havoc with the wood moisture. Consequently, I broke down and bought an 8,000 BTU/hr window A/C unit. WOW, what a difference in both humidity and temperature. While I was at it, I also decided that an air cleaner would probably be a big...
I don’t have any 8/4 or 12/4 to make the legs and side aprons. Online 12/4 X36 square blanks are very expensive ($40 on Rockler) plus most of them are glued up. So I decided to make them from existing 6/4 and 4/4 stock. When the changes were made, I needed roughly 20 BF of 4/4 and 20 BF of 6/4 cherry for the legs, side aprons, various stretchers, as well as the drawer fronts and the back rail. I also needed some 5/4 square walnut spindles and some 4/4 square walnut spindles. The 4/...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1781 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Toy costruction - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1806 entries
- dbhost - 432 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 307 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 235 entries
- Dave Rutan - 228 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 203 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries