Knives took longer than I was told to sharpen, personally I think they lost them for a while because when I called them they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. Anyhow, I got them about 10 days ago and finally had all day yesterday to sit down with it, make sure everything was level and set all the blades. It sure felt good to see chips sliding down the shoot after several hours that I’ve put into this thing. I like it so much that I don’t even like getting it...
I took the bearings in to a local auto store to check on replaceing them (Bearing #:8502-k and 8503-k). They want $48 a piece for them! Wowzas. I found them online after S&H for about $63 total. I tihnk I’ll do that. But then I am getting antsy and the company told me they are a special order part so it’d probably be 3 weeks before they even ship! So my dilema is that I want to cut now, but don’t want to spend $100. So I was talking to my dad and he suggested if they wer...
Just need the new bearings and the knives sharpened, hopefully chips flying by the end of next week! Oh, and I need to make a back door yet. It grew wheels. Got the set of pullers from Harbor Freight yesterday, 4 different sizes, $25, works great. Got the casters from HF too, had to drill out the prexisting 3/8” holes to 1/2” to accomadate the casters. Two locking in the front and two freely moving on the back. Pullers and head with bearings Somethings missing...
Got a decent amount done this weekend on the old 1969 Rockwell/Delta 37-220 Jointer. Started assembling and leveling the top. Getting the head cleaned up. Waxed the beds and fence with Johnsons Paste Wax. Wire wheeled the inside of the base and a couple of other small parts that were hiding under a HF ad. Primed them, painted them. Now Maybe another quick coat of paint tomorrow before I go to work and we can finally start assembling. I am having a professional sharpen my knives for me for ...
Wow, what an afternoon yesterday. I’m finally getting to see things shape up when I was removing the masking tape. Then I get to the tape that was covering the PATENT sticker that I couldn’t remove… I’d had the masking tape on too long and when I was removing the tape, along came the sticker… So naturally I was upset…very upset. It’s not like this little sticker would at all affect how my machine works but.. My Grandpa has two main hobbies, woo...
Hello again, I’ve got quite a bit accomplished since my last post, but it took much longer than anticipated. I had to finish cleaning a few little pieces here and there and wipe off the never ending paint dust with mineral spirits. Once I’d clean a piece I’d tape it off, lots of masking tape and razor blades. The only pieces I have left are the pieces of the head. I have to clean up the head yet and probably replace the bearings, they felt good and sounded good but they prob...
Haven’t done a whole lot lately, finished all the wire brushing and removing of the old pant and rust. I had to stop using the wire wheel when there was more wires flying off then paint. I got my use out of the $3 wire wheel. There’s still some paint in those hard to reach places but It’s better than it was. Now I’m going to give everything a good wiping with some mineral spirits and tape off what’s necessary and go to town with the spray cans. I took some pictur...
Spent about four hours in the garage today with a wire brush, wire attachment on my drill, and a 4” wire wheel on my Makita. Doesn’t look like much to show for all that work but getting that paint off of cast iron and in all the little corners and grooves is tedious work. I think with another 1 1/2 hours of wire brushing I’ll be ready to wipe it clean and tape off the appropriate areas. I’m getting a lot of hours into this thing but I think I’ll only have abou...
So I stripped it last night, and a little more tonight until it was R rated. Primed some parts and put some Rust-Oleum paint on it. Got all the cast iron top parts waiting on the saw horses for me tomorrow (they will haunt me with all of their curves to clean). Figured out I could get the metal tags off the pieces with a little work so I didn’t have to tape them all off. I just have a sticker left on it that I dare not remove that is a list of patents that I think is pretty cool so I...
Just put some stripping jelly on the base tonight with a good scouring first. Scoured it after the jelly sat for awhile. Then I with my ROS I took some sandpaper discs out of retirement from the shop floor and removed what I could with them. I’ll probably do it all again tomorrow and hit up the inside some too as well as work on the top. I want to get the base finished and then worry about the tough part (leveling the beds and setting the knives). Getting a little more excited now...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 276 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 230 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries