Time for another update on the mini hand tool cabinet. These may start to come less frequently, since I am now involved in multiple Christmas Time projects as well (all of which I will post either in the Blog or at the very least in the Projects area early on in the new year). With all of the cabinet sides made, the next step I took was to make the panels for the back and for the door. My original plan was to find some 1/4” plywood for the panels, but I was enjoying using solid pine ...
I recently got a 6 foot length of sycamore which I cut in half in order to make a chopping block/table 3 foot by 2foot. Even after cutting in half the boards were so badly twisted that I had to split them length ways in order to flatten and plane them without removing too much material . The picture above shows the boards sawn ready for jointing and planing. I first of all flattened one face on the jointer and then put them through the thicknesser to achieve a consistent t...
After several hours of carving with my Dremel tool over the last two days, I completed the custom checkers for this project. This was my first attempt at wood carving and with 48 sides to carve, it was a bit tedious, but not too difficult. My skills improved a good deal by day two and I took some extra time to go back over the first day’s checkers and make sure they were all pretty consistent. I took some video of the carving process to post as a separate blog entry once I have...
A few more photo’s in the handle re-modelling saga. A bit more ‘Fettling and Fiddling’, re-shaping the lamb’s tongue- A bit more filing and sanding Wetting the surface with water to raise the grain- When dry more fine sanding and out with the Danish Oil Now all I need is to sort the sawplate out! Before Photo- The original scruffy handlle… ...and after
I’m getting closer to finishing this bandsaw box. The pulls were essentially carved using a bandsaw and one of my three Dremels. I decided that something more sculptural would be appropriate for the pulls and these pictures show what I’ve done with them. This also shows the first coat of Watco Natural Danish Oil….and I’ll let that sit a couple of day and do it again. The drawers are quite finished yet because they’ll be lined with elk hide. I bought an e...
Just curious…..there are so many opinions out there regarding how to care for your project when it is finished in Danish Oil and then Waxed…. More wax? Furniture Polish? Cleaner then Wax? What do you guys and gals out there use and why? I usually just re-wax with more of the same that I normally use, but not everyone has that available…...
I’m making a small desktop humidor for my cigars. I don’t smoke often at all, but being a woodworker it was hard to resist making one.The purpose of a humidor is to keep cigars at the proper humidity (65-70%) and temperature (70deg). So I decided to make two at once. One for a friend and one for myself. Both cases are walnut. One has a cocobolo lid and the other a birdseye maple lid. Both will feature Brusso hinges. CONSTRUCTION:Dovetail joints for the sides. Lid and b...
Hi, So here is post #2 of my bed construction series. After a tough week (was knocked down by the influenza for a few days), I managed to finish all of the building work on this bed. I must admit that I am very pleased with the results. The only thing left is to:-Fine sand some of the rougher areas-Apply the finish As a matter of fact, I am no expert in finishing techniques, so I am asking LJ: What finish would you use to preserve the natural feel and color of the wood, while using...
Ok…I was thinking of doing some stringing or inlays on this but after talking with my wife about where we wanted to put this, I let that idea go. I wanted to keep it a bit less formal. This series of photos are after the glue up and with one coat of Karson’s Oil/Poly blend recipe. It is still just a bit on the damp side. The top is not attached at this point. I will probably give it one more coat of the oil/poly blend then give it 3 or 4 coats of shellac and rub it out. I want ...
Finishing the lidI wanted to get the lid to fit tight, so I cut a piece of ply to fit the box and then centered it under the lid. I used this to scribe my layout lines.I taped the corners of the box to help minimize tearout. Pushstick was used for actual operation. I busted out Wonder Boy for trimming the lid to perfection.Finished rabbet. (Note Kristin’s toes)I cut and glued more keys to secure the miters.I used a file to follow the plane this time. As long as you work away from the co...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1541 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1566 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries