The face frames were not all that involved so I did not take a lot of pictures of the cuts and positioning of the parts. Most of the pieces were square edged pieces joined with dominos. At one point I had to decide on whether or not to include a reveal around the curved rail that framed the open space in the front of the piece. I did take pictures of the face frame both ways, in the end I decided to go with the reveal because I felt that the shadow line provided by the reveal really added...
Woke up and ate some more ding dongs this morning. Since I’m figuring this out as I go, I thought I’d work on the inside of this chest of drawers. I decided to copy the image of the drawer dividers that you see looking at the front of the dresser, and transpose it onto the inside back of it and make the drawer runners mortise and tenon.. I don’t know why, but here is the beginning of the process. Time to bust out the poplar….........The inside drawer dividers are also...
I started a new project today. I’m building two large patio planter boxes. The final dimensions should be close to 41” long x 24” wide x 20” high. I’m working from Woodsmith’s Outdoor Woodworking book. Here’s a link to their website: http://woodsmithstore.com/w1021.html There were a lot of cuts to make for this build. The diagrams for this project are pretty detailed and that’s a good thing because there is no cut list provided....
Up to now, things were relatively easy. Now the actual work was going to start. To make the drawers, I decided to use Poplar. However, I did something I would now change. I purchased 4/4 of the stuff with the idea that I would resaw in half on my bandsaw. In retrospect, I should have purchased 8/4 and cut it into thirds. After resawing, planing and sanding, the boards were much thinner than I had hoped. The next decision was how to construct the drawers themselves. I have an Akeda Dovetai...
I’ve had this project on the back burner (literally- it was standing in the back on the burner…) for a long time (just click on the “Previous blog entry” and you’ll see what I mean). and I think it’s due to the fact I have high expectations out of this project, that sometimes I feel are a bit over my capabilities and abilities at this day and age. But… I finally got some courage, and cut the carcass down so I can pick up on this project, and move o...
Complicated Face Frame The Dr. White’s chest is a combination wardrobe/chest of drawers and has a complicated face frame. There are eight mortise and tenon joints, ten dovetail joints, and one half-lap joint in the frame. I cut the dovetail joints with my Leigh dovetail jig. Watch this video to see how I cut the female portion of the face frame dovetail joints. I cut the male portion of the joint using the same jig in the vertical mode and the bit set at the same depth. NOTE: Chip out...
Before I cut my rails to length I make sure the exact size I need. I won’t go into the fractions, etc, because no one will have the same sizes as I have anyway, but it’s important to check that the doors will fit the opening with the hinge and a space between. I laid my pieces out before putting the tenons on the ends of the rails. I also made sure my pieces of “panelling” would fit into the grooves in the rails. Here is one of the rails with the haunched t...
I found some great ideas for building storage beds for our two boys on the internet, at Ana White Homemaker. After studying these plans for a bit, I decided I wanted to make some changes, mainly to upgrade the joinery methods and make the base cabinets deeper, so they met in the middle under the box spring. So, here’s what I came up with after learning google sketchup, and going through a few design revisions. This bed is basically made up of several box cabinets that will be bolted ...
Whatever was selected for the backing material of this cabinet needed to add strength, look good and be 1/2” thick. Plywood meets two out of three of those requirements, but I just can’t fall in love with the idea of plywood in my tool till. Biggest hurdle with any other material is the work I might have to do to get it to that 1/2” thickness. I checked the remaining inventory of poplar (says Don W, and he should know) boards salvaged from somewhere, some time ago. This s...
As I have mentioned in an earlier post, it was decided early on that we would make the bottom shelf slatted instead of flat plywood. This actually turned out to be a little more challenging that I had hoped. It ended up with 12 slats, originally 14 but I dropped the 2 outer slats because I felt the joinery would be too busy, all connected with dominos to the front and rear rails. I also went ahead and pre-finished this shelf in anticipation of access issues while spraying. This piec...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1766 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 109 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Toy costruction - 93 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1791 entries
- dbhost - 430 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 252 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 226 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Dave Rutan - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 198 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries