While I’m ammonia fuming another project, I figured I’d make progress on this one. I pulled a WoodWhisperer and threw away the tape measure. I milled the ends to the proper thickness (which also gave me some nice mahogany veneer). I can’t tell you how lovely working mahogany is, compared to oak. Then while the stock was still one long piece, I used the table saw blade to make the dado that fits the tongue on the top (Darrell calls it the “core”). I achieved ...
Well here is my latest sled design. This sled is a combination of many sleds that i have seen in the past. One sled that really influenced it, is the super sled by john nixon at eagle lake woodworking. I like the t track on the sled part (the sheet part) but i am going to use real t track. I also liked the t track on top of the fence, which i incorporated, but it stops there. This sled should be able to do just about everything. You can cut 45’s ( blade tilting at 45 deg ) and every o...
In this tutorial I’ll be making three redwood wine box displays. Two will be 12” x 12” x 3”, the other will be 10” x 10” x 2 1/4”. These are the two most common sizes I make, the 12” square box will hold ~125 wine corks, where as the 10” version will hold ~80. It doesn’t look like that many will fit in there, but I promise you they will.Before we begin, I want to mention that these tutorials will be available on my photography sit...
Continuing this blog on T-tracks, there is nothing that goes to waist, even the most insignificant piece, at a given moment may turn out to be gold. So, the other day I was looking into some drawers and I found a cut-off piece of t-track that I used on my router table. We all use them and most times we cut them to size to fit our dimension, as they are sold in specific lengths. So I was thinking why did I save that small 20cm long piece?And the same night as I was browsing along the wo...
I finished painting my patio planter boxes today. I like the way they came out. Thanks to the mortise and tenon, and panel construction, they are very sturdy. The were a lot of dadoes, mortises, tenons, and trim to cut for this project, but it was a lot of fun fitting all the pieces together. The colors are Martha Stewart’s “Monk’s Glove” and “Chianti” from Home Depot. Working on these in my garage attracted a lot of attention. As I was fi...
As I was waiting for another project to dry, I did a little work on the table top. I had cut it oversized on purpose to take advantage of the wavy figure in the board. I then had to face the difficult decision of how to trim it down for a sofa/foyer table that didn’t stick too far out. I settled on a 14” wide board, which leaves plenty of room for a decent overhand in the front, 2 1/4” legs, and a side apron that doesn’t look like a chubby baby’s leg. I the...
What to Expect This blog series will highlight some of the techniques I use in solid wood case construction. My previous blog, about building the New Gloucester rocker, covered nearly every step in photographs with an occasional video. This blog will not detail every step along the way, but will rather explore key details of case construction using primarily videos. The videos are “rough takes” since I’m not going to spend the extra time to edit them. In those situati...
A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step…Lao Tzu After writing the initial blog I could hardly wait to get started. Took care of few things around the house, re-read the first chapter a few times, checked my lumber supply, kissed the baby and retreated to my shop for the day. The book opens with some initial information about types of saws and tools a woodworker needs, an overview of the fundamental joinery and some other basic terminology. Great information, ...
I’ve had this project on the back burner (literally- it was standing in the back on the burner…) for a long time (just click on the “Previous blog entry” and you’ll see what I mean). and I think it’s due to the fact I have high expectations out of this project, that sometimes I feel are a bit over my capabilities and abilities at this day and age. But… I finally got some courage, and cut the carcass down so I can pick up on this project, and move o...
Up to now, things were relatively easy. Now the actual work was going to start. To make the drawers, I decided to use Poplar. However, I did something I would now change. I purchased 4/4 of the stuff with the idea that I would resaw in half on my bandsaw. In retrospect, I should have purchased 8/4 and cut it into thirds. After resawing, planing and sanding, the boards were much thinner than I had hoped. The next decision was how to construct the drawers themselves. I have an Akeda Dovetai...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1427 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 92 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1451 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 192 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 178 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries