Think you can’t build furniture because you only have a few basic tools? Well, check this out! This walnut low entertainment center was built using three primary tools: a circular saw, a router, and a drill. But that doesn’t mean I skimped on quality and design. The unit has sliding doors, good ventilation, a little shelf in the back for a surge protector, and all of the trim is beveled at an angle for a more interesting visual effect (even the trim on the shelves features ...
I started today by gluing up the top. Doh! #1I decided to use Dominos for the project and did not pick the right size so I cut all the way through the case. Fix. I decided to use through Dominos for the project. Actually the shelves are held in by through Dominos and a false dado I created by layering plywood on the outer pieces. Glue and staples hold the second layer on. Left to right = bottom to top of side Case AssemblyAssembly is a snap with the Dominos. They hold the p...
Well, at least it wasn’t me that bought it this time.I made a gavel and striker on commission from some of the Indian Dontknow I use for a lot of my projects (post on that to follow).I had emailed the customer to let them know they could pick it up.I told the wife they would come over the weekend and she said “You should make a case for it.” I told her that would be more cost, and I haven’t done a case before so it would take about, oh, a year for me to get it figured ...
So I am building a box frame using box-joints. I have my Incra 1000SE miter gauge setup with the stop block to cut the side pieces to length, and I’m all done with that. Time to cut the box joints. So I swap the blade on the table saw with my new (only used once before) Dado blade, I attach my homemade high fence for making box joints onto the Incra 1000 fence, and I’m ready to start cutting. If you’ve followed the details up to this point – you might have ...
Time to modify the workbench. I built the bench a year ago. Currently it has a simple shelf for storage. The plan is to build a simple cabinet with drawers to store hand tools, possibly my routers, and other “stuff” Here is a pic of the plan from Matthew Teague’s Setting up Shop (same place I got the bench plan). The drawers are weird. The bottoms are glued and stapled up onto the box. The bottom then becomes the runners. —————&...
The following is an example of a project that I usually will find myself working on. It also highlights one of the reasons why I don’t post projects, as these are usually rough constructions that I attempt to make a little better than the material I am working with. Right now, my house is in a state of semi-chaos. My brother has moved in a few months ago (he has been recently diagnosed with MS and is trying to get his life together) and so I have been trying to adjust to the addition of...
While I’m ammonia fuming another project, I figured I’d make progress on this one. I pulled a WoodWhisperer and threw away the tape measure. I milled the ends to the proper thickness (which also gave me some nice mahogany veneer). I can’t tell you how lovely working mahogany is, compared to oak. Then while the stock was still one long piece, I used the table saw blade to make the dado that fits the tongue on the top (Darrell calls it the “core”). I achieved ...
Used the new dado jig to make my Stickley Inspired Entertainment Center. It worked great. Obviously, I really need a bandsaw. My jigsaw skills are really poor. Jig uses a router bushing and paired bit. The jig edge is a rabbited edge. I had to buy a 3’ clamp to fit the jig. My 2’ was too short and the 4’ was too unwieldy. The proof that it was successful is that my son used it and said it worked. That’s high praise from him.
My short and to the point video on an adjustable router dado jig. I know there are several plans and videos about these floating around but there don’t seem to be many videos that are short and to the point. I have been needing one of these and finally decided to jump on it and get it done. Hope you all enjoy! Thanks for watching!
With a design in mind I bought a couple sheets of 4×8 Birch Plywood and got to work. I don’t have pictures of this part of the process, but the first thing I did was to lay out each piece of the carcass on a 4×8 rectangle in Sketchup so I could get check what’d fit and make sure my grain was all pointing in the right direction (at that point I was thinking I might stain the cabinet). I transferred those measurements to the actual plywood sheets. When I marked things...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1263 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 73 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1285 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 369 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 255 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 148 entries