I finished painting my patio planter boxes today. I like the way they came out. Thanks to the mortise and tenon, and panel construction, they are very sturdy. The were a lot of dadoes, mortises, tenons, and trim to cut for this project, but it was a lot of fun fitting all the pieces together. The colors are Martha Stewart’s “Monk’s Glove” and “Chianti” from Home Depot. Working on these in my garage attracted a lot of attention. As I was fi...
Well fellow Lumberjocks, I just had to tell you that about my trip to Colorado this last week.I hadn’t had a chance to get to know my BIL until my trip to their home. I went to bring back my two nephews to help with some yard projects. So I got to spend some time with my BIL and get to know each other. Anyway, He took me into his toy room out in the garage. Not being a woodworker he had some pretty neat tools none the less. While we were talking he pulled out a box and handed it to m...
I started a new project today. I’m building two large patio planter boxes. The final dimensions should be close to 41” long x 24” wide x 20” high. I’m working from Woodsmith’s Outdoor Woodworking book. Here’s a link to their website: http://woodsmithstore.com/w1021.html There were a lot of cuts to make for this build. The diagrams for this project are pretty detailed and that’s a good thing because there is no cut list provided....
It starts with a plan… I know their not super sophisticated, but with a few 1” pin nails to help reinforce the glue joint, they feel pretty solid. I’ve had this stack dado for a while now, but haven’t had need of it till now…so I had to make an auxillary fence and a ZCI Here’s the set up for cutting the lap joints first lap joint gluing up the drawers… I really need to get some more clamps…. I like using the paper t...
Well, at least it wasn’t me that bought it this time.I made a gavel and striker on commission from some of the Indian Dontknow I use for a lot of my projects (post on that to follow).I had emailed the customer to let them know they could pick it up.I told the wife they would come over the weekend and she said “You should make a case for it.” I told her that would be more cost, and I haven’t done a case before so it would take about, oh, a year for me to get it figured ...
Whatever was selected for the backing material of this cabinet needed to add strength, look good and be 1/2” thick. Plywood meets two out of three of those requirements, but I just can’t fall in love with the idea of plywood in my tool till. Biggest hurdle with any other material is the work I might have to do to get it to that 1/2” thickness. I checked the remaining inventory of poplar (says Don W, and he should know) boards salvaged from somewhere, some time ago. This s...
Top and bottom of the cabinet have been defined, but not the space for the jack planes and tambor door. Because there a plenty of pics of the dado process, here’s what the defined spaces look like in dry-fit mode. And the plane partition has been shaped to match similar pieces in the inspiration piece. The interior of door’d section then got some attention, again driven by something I saw (and posted) a couple of weeks ago. This shot of the interior of a craftsman-ma...
Have you ever struggled with the different sized plywoods and making dados that fit perfect. Well here is an eay way to make PERFECT fitting dados.
I found some great ideas for building storage beds for our two boys on the internet, at Ana White Homemaker. After studying these plans for a bit, I decided I wanted to make some changes, mainly to upgrade the joinery methods and make the base cabinets deeper, so they met in the middle under the box spring. So, here’s what I came up with after learning google sketchup, and going through a few design revisions. This bed is basically made up of several box cabinets that will be bolted ...
Today I went ahead and got the boards for the top and sides all cut up. The sides are nice and straight. And we are gluing up the boards. I do them one board at a time. this way I have a better control over the alignment of the boards and I have to do less planing and or sanding later. Below is an other picture with the designing of the dresser. I used a FWW magazine to get some inspiration on how the build the “guts” of a dresser. I need to see this coming together still. ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1190 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1212 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries