A couple of years ago I built a standing floor cabinet foolishly out of all poplar (not true poplar, e.g. black poplar (Populus nigra) or white poplar (Populus alba), but tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera), the stuff you (and I) get from Home Depot). It cost about $800+ in wood, and over $1k all together. I should have used plywood! I jointed the big pile of boards and ripped their other sides to get them all identical in width. This left me with a whole pile of extremely thin edge-str...
My new scrap cutoffs shelves are handy for odds and ends, too, like the little roll of brown paper that’s always in my way, rolled-up foam sheeting, some jointed and planed 2×2s I use as straight bars during panel glue-ups, and a few sets of rails for my router bridge setup. You know… all the narrower stuff under 2’ long. I also finally emptied the two boxes of exotic turning blanks (on sale still!) that I got quite a long time ago. It’s very easy to forget...
All the pieces for both units were cut out at the same time, so there was another waiting to be assembled. I spent some time today on that. Here it is next to the first one, waiting to be filled up: I’ll have to find a new place to hang my roller stand, but that’s okay, as I’ve only been able to hang one of the two here on its over-the-rafters hooks. Right now it’s immediately in front of the new shelving: I learned something interesting about French clea...
I have redesigned this thing several times, waaay overdesigned it in SketchUp while briefly mad with visions of increasingly elaborate designs in even the most utilitarian of shop storage solutions, and tried to build it 3 times previously, giving up nearly immediately each time when things failed to work out. I’ve switched between construction grade ply and premium baltic birch ply. I’ve failed to account for kerf and cut things undersized, and failed to check ply for square befo...
edit – I actually did this before the workbench, but since I’m adding it to this series after the fact, it winds up as #2. I designed this partly to learn more about using SketchUp, and partly because its something I’d like to make to keep organized and clean. After looking at what I usually keep on hand and the sizes of scraps I seem to accumulate, and combining some ideas from a few other mobile racks I’ve seen on LJs, I came up with this. Its 24” wide, by ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1794 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1819 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries