Its been a while since the previous post mostly because I wasn’t sure I was happy with the original design. I went to the local lumber supplier that carries mahogany plywood and bought the 3/4” material for the carcass and baking. While there I had them cut the 1/2 full sheet to 2 halves (2 quarter sheets) so it’ll be easier for me to transport with my car (don’t have a large truck anymore). With the 2 pieces now sitting in the garage, the original design seemed ...
I was able to get to the garage today as a request for a new shelf for the kitchen was in. While there I saw some cutoff pieces of mahogany that I had piled up from the past 2 projects, and saw 4 legs hidden in those waiting to come out to life. I had wanted to put legs on this box from the get go but wasn’t set on a design that I liked and was mentally blocked with it. I decided to make 3 1.5” x 1.5” x 1” legs and just chamfer the bottoms – just to have so...
Disclaimer: This blog follows my Magen David Board that is already finished and posted here At this point (see previous post for the methodology I chose to take for this project) , I realized that my plan for mass production, and gluing the long strips to one another to make the geometry would cause more trouble, and decided to cross cut them all to their final thickness instead, and in a way changed my work order to a ‘one of’ setup, albeit it would have been better if I did t...
Disclaimer: This blog follows my Magen David Board that is already finished and posted here In Highschool I always doodled (I still am). and one of my favorite things was to use the squares on the math papers to form different geometries – mostly with triangles. as I was playing along, I discovered that I could form a star of david (Magen David) and that formation has stuck with me ever since. When I was introduced to the idea of making cutting boards out of wood, I always wanted ...
So in preparation for my major kitchen remodel, I have been building some prototype cabinets, frames, etc. Testing my skills and making sure my existing tools and jigs are up to the task. Well my Craftsman router table has a slight warp in it and ruins the last 6” of just about any edge profile. So I made the decision to build a quick and dirty router table with some melamine I had laying around. It was from an old shop cabinet that came apart. Well, while handling it, I gave...
I just posted this as a comment/response on another thread but figured this might be something that others could find useful. so here goes. This short tutorial shows one way to create a compound angle cut on an edge of a 2×4. this can translate to any other situation where a compound angle is needed: I started with a 2×4, used the protractor tool, and made a guideline from one corner at a 10 degree angle: I then selected the opposite EDGE of the ‘board’ and usi...
I am completely gassed. Today I completed the last cuts I need to put the top stretchers into the legs of my saw horses. The last major hurdle was to cut the feet into something more interesting looking than a rectangle. Krenov, who designed these, has the feet with pleasing angles and a cut out on the bottom. I had delusions of grandeur and considered doing something different, but I couldn’t come up with anything I like better than the Master’s design.My desire to improve at using h...
I finally got a chance to practice hand-cutting dovetails. This is the first time I’ve made a cut with my new Japanese dovetail saw and use my new bench too. I started out with a couple scrap pieces of pine: I drew the tails: First cut… didn’t follow the line so well. It will take some getting used to. Here are all the cuts. Some are pretty good and some are pretty far off the line. This photo is AWESOME. Because as you can see, I did a beautif...
I was able to plane the stock for the shelves yesterday. I glued up a large enough blank for two shelves, then used the fence to cut them parallel. I then used the cross-cut sled to square the other sides. I got to use my Delta new mortiser to make all of the mortises (3 on each side x 4 sides = 12 total). Luckily, they were all 3/8” and had the same offset from the front/back. This meant that with one setup, I could knock them all out. If I had done them with a chisel, ...
Started cutting out the parts to the 9 additional single beds only and WOW that is a lot of cutting. I figured 522 pieces (58 each). The drawer have the most at 423 (47 each). I didn’t just cut and rip them, some had to be edge banded and then comes the sanded. I got 2 days to work. I will be going to Church camp for a week. I’d like to have the headboards built and the drawer units ready to assemble before I leave. The week I’m gone, hopefully my crew can get the d...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries