Another Milestone I am pretty excited to share with you guys today’s progress. I got all of the handle pieces finished! Next I have some touch up on the doors and the final install. I am sure I will have a full day of technical sweating. I had to brush the pieces again on the wire wheel to brighten the finish. I then hung them from the ceiling and wiped them down thoroughly with acetone. This strips any oil from the surface. I sprayed them with an acrylic resin lacquer by Sh...
Getting Closer… Well guys I can hardly stand it! I am getting so close to done on this project and yet there is so much to do. I just want to go home and be with my wife and my dogs so bad. This job has been a nail biter every step of the way. The more I get done, the more work I have at risk if I should screw up. A mistake could cost the equivalent of a good used car – NO KIDDING. If you want to do high-end work, the risk is high too. That is one factor most don’t...
Exciting Progress.. I am making some great progress on my closet project. I currently have the copper rods in a machine shop where the parts are being fabricated. The clients and I had talked about changing the lights to better illuminate the fine work that I have produced. While the metal work is being done I decided to go ahead and install the new lights. WOW! Man-OH-Man! Does it ever look fantastic! Here is the closet with the old lights: Here is the closet with the n...
Success- I installed the big door today with a helping hand. The careful planning paid big dividends in an incredibly smooth and accurate install. Before doing the veneer work, I installed and fitted the doors. The doors were then taken to the shop and finished. The hinges were numbered and went back into the same locations. This meant that the final install required no additional adjustment. This is what I call jobsite theory, and it worked out this time. Getting a handle on it&...
It’s been a long week, but I am excited to say that I just finished up the 2nd Steak Knife set tonight about 10:15pm CT. Sure, I could go to bed, but not after I blog the milestone. But, first, let me apologize for not providing much in the area of notable, or supportive input the past couple of months. I just haven’t had time to do any reading on LJ, only worrying about getting my own projects and blogs posted. I swore off of LJ until the steak knife commissions were complete,...
Well, after being excited, then not, then excited, then not, and then excited, and then not, for the past 3 weeks, today I was told that a check is in the mail for the deposit money for the Custom Steak Knife sets I will be making. So, I’m officially at “excited” again. I posted a few days ago about the knife/scrimshaw samples being sent here: http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/decoustudio/blog/2470 Now, I just wanted to follow up, and post that I did get the order today....
For the past 14 months, I have waited patiently to see if my investment in a prestigious national woodworking show would pay off. Sure it was a lot of fun to be counted acceptable by the jury, and to attend the show, but it is hugely expensive for a small one-man operation like I run here. Not only just the cost of the booth fees, but getting things ready to take is a huge undertaking, renting a truck, fuel, hotel, food, etc. I was disappointed with the “return” on my investmen...
For the most part the design process is left to me on the furniture I build. The customer just gives me a general idea and I go with it. There is the occasion that the customer would like or needs to have their hand in the designing process. Case in point, I have a Murphy wall bed customer that ordered my Euro Murphy bed. They wanted to change it up a little by adding a few extra rectangle blocks. She had an idea of what she wanted and thought it look good on paper. After tempora...
Some additional photos of the Living room and bar project Photo one shows the matching arches we did in the foyer. Photo two shows the custom bar stools the client had made. Photo three show the hand carved limestone and marble fireplace. Photo four shows the iron work added to the glass doors. Lee
Finally got to the point where I could try the waterslide transfer decals out. David’s instructions were much clearer than what came with the product. Having already used a different first coat, than in his demo (oops), and not being sure of compatability issues (not to mention wanting to wait for a few coats of spray finish to dry) I tried using them unprotected (as per the manufacturers instructions). They worked great – slid off perfectly. I didn’t find them too ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1295 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1317 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries