Exciting Progress.. I am making some great progress on my closet project. I currently have the copper rods in a machine shop where the parts are being fabricated. The clients and I had talked about changing the lights to better illuminate the fine work that I have produced. While the metal work is being done I decided to go ahead and install the new lights. WOW! Man-OH-Man! Does it ever look fantastic! Here is the closet with the old lights: Here is the closet with the n...
How to Make Custom Waterslide Decals This Waterlide Decal Tutorial is available as a PDF download on my website Materials List • Clear or White 8.5×11 waterslide paper• Deft Gloss Clear Lacquer• Brayer Roller• Paper Towels• Bowl with clean water SOURCES FOR DECAL PAPER WATERSLIDE PAPER • MicroMark• BelDecal 1. Make decal design on your favorite graphic application.I use a Mac based system so I will share the details of how I do things, however, you can do this on any co...
Finished! Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push. I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend. How to Remove a Scratch- After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today: Yes you are seeing it correctly...
Getting Closer… Well guys I can hardly stand it! I am getting so close to done on this project and yet there is so much to do. I just want to go home and be with my wife and my dogs so bad. This job has been a nail biter every step of the way. The more I get done, the more work I have at risk if I should screw up. A mistake could cost the equivalent of a good used car – NO KIDDING. If you want to do high-end work, the risk is high too. That is one factor most don’t...
Another Milestone I am pretty excited to share with you guys today’s progress. I got all of the handle pieces finished! Next I have some touch up on the doors and the final install. I am sure I will have a full day of technical sweating. I had to brush the pieces again on the wire wheel to brighten the finish. I then hung them from the ceiling and wiped them down thoroughly with acetone. This strips any oil from the surface. I sprayed them with an acrylic resin lacquer by Sh...
I’ve seen machinist toolboxes here and elsewhere a couple of times, but never felt they would be useful for my woodworking needs as they seem to be aimed at organizing smaller items/tools/etc, so I never paid much attention to these boxes. With my recent interest in machining, I find I need a toolbox to hold all my small gauges, tools, keys, wrenches, tooling, measuring devices, etc. A machinist toolbox would be perfect for the job. I’ve looked around, and to be honest- these b...
Well, after a little bit of tweeking, It looks to be working… (keeping my fingers crossed). This was just to be a proof of concept (prototype), but it seems to be working well enough that I’ll use it for the rest of the production and make a better one next time. Thanks to all for your suggestions. !(Working router trammel)! Sincerely, Tom
UPDATE 5-2-2008: You can see the finished cane in this project posting: - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - -—- – - – -—- – - – - Back to my original Blog: This is a short blog, as I sort of spilled my insides out earlier this week with the previous blog. So, not much to say tonight. I’m working on a unique commissioned walking c...
Success- I installed the big door today with a helping hand. The careful planning paid big dividends in an incredibly smooth and accurate install. Before doing the veneer work, I installed and fitted the doors. The doors were then taken to the shop and finished. The hinges were numbered and went back into the same locations. This meant that the final install required no additional adjustment. This is what I call jobsite theory, and it worked out this time. Getting a handle on it&...
This blog is to show others how I created all the Walnut Pulls on my Clothes Hamper Hider I searched the Lee Valley and Rockler (among others) catalogs for hours trying to find something I liked for the furniture piece but didn’t find anything that suited my fancy. I found some maple and cherry handles that looked like they might work but I wanted walnut for contrast. Would you believe it? Walnut pulls don’t exist! So I decided to make some of my own. I went ahead and bought...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries