We have more kitchen stuff than fits in our cabinets. We decided that a really large shelf could serve to hold some of the nicer-looking pieces, opening up room for the more utilitarian stuff behind closed doors. This started as a simple, innocent slab of wood on some store-bought brackets, but got waylaid in the design process. :) Here’s the design It’s big, about 94” long by 12” deep. It also incorporates two techniques I haven’t tried before (I’...
I was out sailing with my friend Scott a few months ago, and noticing his very worn, rotten, and duct-taped tiller, thought of an excellent barter. Scott is an excellent amateur blacksmith, and me being at least an average amateur woodworker, I offered him this trade: I would shape him a new tiller in exchange for him smithing the iron parts of my curiosity cabinet project. Scott agreed, and a week later this lovely, silvery weathered mahogany was waiting in my driveway: Along with the...
I got a bit more time to work on my tabletop today and it is coming along! I think that the longest part remaining is going to be cutting the butterfly dovetails to keep the cracks from spreading. One edge on the bottom is a mess. It will take some time, but I plan on at least 100 years of service out of a piece of furniture when I build, so it will be worth it. I want to keep away from straight lines in this piece, so I used a curve to draw the edges of the table. The curve is adju...
A few folks have asked me what I have been up to lately in the shop, so I decided to post a quick video blog, that I shot yesterday, before I head out for the long weekend. Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving! Here is the video
Used the old trick of a straight board and a router to get a glue-able edge on the Panga laminates for the top. One set is gluing already and we’ll move on to the next tomorrow. Pulled open the form and revealed my curved inlay stock for the top also. I was worried that the aluminum would be too springy, but the glue held just fine. I only need to get two arcs out of this, so there’s plenty of room to goof the first cut.
When I was contemplating my curves and complaining about my coping saw, Marco suggested that I could easily make a curve by first making a series of cuts, and then cutting the waste away with a chisel. I had learned that technique at Homestead Heritage (Waco, TX) but hadn’t yet had enough confidence to try it. It seemed too easy. But doing the curves for the supporting piece, I decided to give it a go. So here is the piece after I’ve made my cuts: And here it is after my...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1507 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1531 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries