Here is where I am currently at with the bed project. -----The plans call for side rails 1-1/2” thick. The 8/4 at the lumberyard didn’t look too good, some even sporting snipe 3/4” thick! So I decided to achieve the desired thickness by laminating 5/4 with 4/4 boards. -----After milling the glueups flat and square, I wrestled them over the dado blade to create the tenons. My 8” dado set couldn’t reach the entire shoulder, so there was considerable hand trimm...
Here is the queen bed project I am working on…-----In my last entry I completed the locking miter joints that form the transition between the side panels and the central panel. -----The central panel has two small floating panels, and a small mid-shelf. The opening near the top will receive a 7-part splat inspired by Kevin Rodel’s arts and crafts dining chairs. -----I route a groove in the spindles to receive the thin components of the splat. Notice the stop block for consiste...
Here is the queen bed project I am working on…-----Before moving on to the headboard, I needed to install some button caps on the footboard. I start by chamfering a 15 degree pyramid on the end of some leg stock. -----Pyramid shape complete.-----Next I use the dado set to cut a tenon on the end of the button cap.-----Then the button cap is cut free.-----Finally I route a mortise for the button cap with a plunge router and spiral bit. -----Button caps installed on footboard. -----Now...
Here is the bed project at hand…-----I added some through tenons to complete the front legs.-----With the legs complete, it was simply a matter of constructing a mortise and tenon frame. The grooves for the panels are 1/2” deep, while the stile tenons are 1-1/2” long for added strength. This extra tenon length also helps to register the stiles in postion during glueup. -----Next I temporarily clamp the panel behind the frame, to transfer the opening size to the panel. -...
This is the queen size bed that I am building. Material is quartersawn red oak. -----I started with some veneers for the legs. I resawed some 3/4” stock at the bandsaw, and planed them to thickness. Then I wrapped them with some shrink wrap to keep them flat. ----- The veneers are slightly oversized, and 1/4” thick. Although the finished veneers will be only 3/32” thick, I leave them thicker because 1) they are easier to glue up, and 2) they come out of the planer lo...
So as many of you know, I have this new found (well… it’s going on over a year now so its not so new) love and passion for woodworking and I am a self proclaimed wood addict. My kids would say wood hoarder…. but addict sounds better to me. LOL. I may not have every mentioned what I do for a living. I’m an office manager for a small business. I’ve had different jobs throughout my life (even been a correctional officer at a prison). But most of my life I’v...
I was initially going to post all of my progress when I posted the final project, but there were too many pictures and the project page would’ve been way too long, so I decided to do a blog series instead in order to track my progress. So I’ve been building little small projects and shop stuff out of scrap wood and I decided I wanted to build something nicer. Plus, I’ve been woodworking for a year now and wanted something to challenge and develop my skills. I love cr...
Time to install the drawer pulls. My hardware requires two holes drilled 3” on center.-----I use this little jig to make sure all the holes are aligned correctly. It is a full-sized pattern, and works for the 6” and 8” drawers. I use Scott Collins “No Math” method to layout the pull location, which is discussed further in my dresser blog here… http://lumberjocks.com/pintodeluxe/blog/34346-----I register the left edge of the drawer against the stop on ...
This is the project I am finishing up. The backsplash was nixed due to a Lumberjocks poll here…http://lumberjocks.com/topics/50516 The tribe has spoken. -----So it will actually look like this…-----When spraying shellac on the drawers, I masked the cedar drawer bottoms to maintain the nice aroma.-----Nightstand stained and lacquered. -----After the lacquer cures for at least 24 hours, I wax the cabinet with Howard’s walnut wax. -----I use a scrap of drawer front stock ...
This is the nightstand project…-----Panel glueup for the tops. I do my glueups in two stages. First I glue two pairs of boards together to make planks. Then I send them through the planer while they are still narrow enough to fit. Finally I glue these two planks together to make a panel. I describe flat panel construction in detail in my dresser blog… http://lumberjocks.com/pintodeluxe/blog/33797-----A pair of rough glueups complete. -----I made a template for the corbels, w...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1451 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1475 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 235 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 195 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries