This is the queen size bed that I am building. Material is quartersawn red oak. -----I started with some veneers for the legs. I resawed some 3/4” stock at the bandsaw, and planed them to thickness. Then I wrapped them with some shrink wrap to keep them flat. ----- The veneers are slightly oversized, and 1/4” thick. Although the finished veneers will be only 3/32” thick, I leave them thicker because 1) they are easier to glue up, and 2) they come out of the planer lo...
So as many of you know, I have this new found (well… it’s going on over a year now so its not so new) love and passion for woodworking and I am a self proclaimed wood addict. My kids would say wood hoarder…. but addict sounds better to me. LOL. I may not have every mentioned what I do for a living. I’m an office manager for a small business. I’ve had different jobs throughout my life (even been a correctional officer at a prison). But most of my life I’v...
I was initially going to post all of my progress when I posted the final project, but there were too many pictures and the project page would’ve been way too long, so I decided to do a blog series instead in order to track my progress. So I’ve been building little small projects and shop stuff out of scrap wood and I decided I wanted to build something nicer. Plus, I’ve been woodworking for a year now and wanted something to challenge and develop my skills. I love cr...
Time to install the drawer pulls. My hardware requires two holes drilled 3” on center.-----I use this little jig to make sure all the holes are aligned correctly. It is a full-sized pattern, and works for the 6” and 8” drawers. I use Scott Collins “No Math” method to layout the pull location, which is discussed further in my dresser blog here… http://lumberjocks.com/pintodeluxe/blog/34346-----I register the left edge of the drawer against the stop on ...
This is the project I am finishing up. The backsplash was nixed due to a Lumberjocks poll here…http://lumberjocks.com/topics/50516 The tribe has spoken. -----So it will actually look like this…-----When spraying shellac on the drawers, I masked the cedar drawer bottoms to maintain the nice aroma.-----Nightstand stained and lacquered. -----After the lacquer cures for at least 24 hours, I wax the cabinet with Howard’s walnut wax. -----I use a scrap of drawer front stock ...
This is the nightstand project…-----Panel glueup for the tops. I do my glueups in two stages. First I glue two pairs of boards together to make planks. Then I send them through the planer while they are still narrow enough to fit. Finally I glue these two planks together to make a panel. I describe flat panel construction in detail in my dresser blog… http://lumberjocks.com/pintodeluxe/blog/33797-----A pair of rough glueups complete. -----I made a template for the corbels, w...
This is the project at hand…-----Empty carcase ready to accept web frames.-----Installing lower web frame with biscuits in front, and dado in the rear. -----Web frames are glued into the dados. -----Notched corners fit neatly around legs. -----Checking that web frames are all in the same plane. -----Through mortise and tenon.-----1/4” straight bit.-----With a straight bit chucked in router #1, I hog out most of the waste for the dovetails. This step is optional, but I fi...
Here is the design for the nightstand….-----I set about notching stock for the web frames. I use a dado blade, however a bandsaw would work too. -----The web frames are joined with biscuits, and checked with a straightedge. -----Web frames and more web frames…------One or two of the joints needed a few passes with a block plane. -----I glued the lower front rail in place, connecting the two side panels. It’s amazing how much strength a through M&T joint has. ------...
Here is a sketch of the nightstand I am working on. It features one 6” over two 8” drawers. -----Side panel components have been sanded, and the solid panels pre-stained. Now a final test fitting before gluing them up. The lumber is QSRO.-----A shallow groove in the legs will receive corbels. -----Side panels glued up. -----Front lower rails have been shaped at the router table, and finish sanded. Next up is the back panel and web frames.
First a plywood base was cut to shape. It has (4) 1” holes to let air escape from the foam quickly. Then 2” thick medium density foam is cut 1/2” oversized in all directions. The foam is cut to shape on the bandsaw, and held in place with spray foam. Here, high-loft Dacron is stretched over the foam and stapled in place. -----Next, goat leather is stretched over the Dacron, and stapled in place. Caden did a nice job with the pneumatic stapler. -----Here Caden is ins...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1297 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1319 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries