So, the new top is in daily use. I put seven or eight coats of Bristol Finish water-based polyurethane on it. It’s a marine varnish for boat interiors, which I used on my old table, and it’s pretty impervious. No coasters required! It’s still sitting on top of the mock-up MDF and the old table, so it’s pretty high. I was going to start on the Rodel Taliesin base next, but since I made the leaves, I don’t have enough lumber to make the base, or the mone...
Last time I built cabinets, I used my biscuit joiner. I thought about going with it again, but since I have a Domino I said what the hey: Go for it.Solid panel waiting for mortisesThe cabinets have 5 identical rails: Two at the top for attaching the counters, one to act a a face frame nailer, and two at the back for securing to the wall during installation. There is also a bottom shelf. I start by marking the approximate locations of the rails so that I put them in the right place. The si...
My cabinets will have two visible solid panels. In this blog I will show the process I use in panel glue up (for bettor or for worse). Stock Selection Although the face frame stack is quartersawn, most of the original end panels in our house are plain sawn. About a year back a neighbor game me some old growth fir. Tasty!This wood was beautiful and will become the most visible panel. I also resawed some old beams to create the stock for the second less visible panel. I left the stock...
Today is payday and I have put off new tool purchases over the holidays so that there was room in the budget for a decent Christmas for the kids and so dad is going to pick up a router, one he probably should have picked up in the first place :) Two years ago, a friend takes me to Harbor Freight and I see a 1 3/4 HP plunge router ON SALE (took me a bit to realize that these things are ALWAYS on sale) for about 40 dollars. Impulse buy later and I am playing around with the router down the ...
When I bought the $500 worth of quartersawn white oak a few months ago, I promised my girlfriend that I’d make a dining table for Thanksgiving. We had to run down to the Caribbean for a business trip over Turkey Day (don’t cry for me), so we fried a turkey the weekend before. Long story short, Christmas and New Years came and went and we’re still serving it up on the MDF mock up. Sigh… I found an unexpected week off between sailing lessons (I’ve got 20 days w...
I got some shots of the gruesome outcome inside the machine. The replacement bearing has been ordered through Sears Parts Direct and should be here in a week or two. Meanwhile, the carnage… Here are some closeups of the broken bearing from the side where it opened up: Note the broken cage and missing balls. No idea where they went: The shaft was pitted beneath the bearing. At first I thought it was damage, and it may be, but I’m leaning a bit toward it being a...
In my last post, I mentioned my planer seizing up entirely. I couldn’t move the belts, and I couldn’t spin the knife wheel. I also talked about how insanely built the Craftsman 13” is, and I still stand behind that. I think taking apart my Toyota pickup’s engine might be less involved. I finally found the secret under the black slide-in plastic caps that the top rods sit in. There were access ports that let me undo some hex screws and finally lift off the top shrouds (...
I’m about to pull the trigger on my order from Klockit.com. I had a few questions about what to order, so I pinged their tech support. They don’t mention what size winding key to get. I’m assuming that it’s an eight-day movement, so that if you wind it every week, it’ll keep running. I grew up with clocks (i.e. grandfather, cuckoo, etc.), so I didn’t want a set that chimed. I think the pendulum length and swing will fit nicely with the design I’v...
I finally received my shipment from Rockler. I opened up the packaging for one set of the AA powered quartz movement w/ pendulum and one package of the hands that I had selected. I assembled them and hung them on the wall. It took me a second (literally) to realize that the second hand was moving backwards. Also, the pendulum wouldn’t keep swinging. The hands also kept coming off the drive shaft. I reassembled after verifying the diagram on the back of the packaging. Still unacce...
I finally had a day to work on our stuff. With a little urging from my girlfriend to finish the fumed table sitting in our dining room, I bit the bullet and gave it a good shellacing. This was my first time using shellac. It’s pretty difficult to work with, as it dries fast and leave a build-up. I cut the Zinser Amber in half with denatured alcohol, and grabbed a beer for myself (I thought it only fair), and went to town on it. It gave it a nice, rich look. When that dried, I ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1434 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1458 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 232 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 193 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 182 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries