I finally received my shipment from Rockler. I opened up the packaging for one set of the AA powered quartz movement w/ pendulum and one package of the hands that I had selected. I assembled them and hung them on the wall. It took me a second (literally) to realize that the second hand was moving backwards. Also, the pendulum wouldn’t keep swinging. The hands also kept coming off the drive shaft. I reassembled after verifying the diagram on the back of the packaging. Still unacce...
I finally had a day to work on our stuff. With a little urging from my girlfriend to finish the fumed table sitting in our dining room, I bit the bullet and gave it a good shellacing. This was my first time using shellac. It’s pretty difficult to work with, as it dries fast and leave a build-up. I cut the Zinser Amber in half with denatured alcohol, and grabbed a beer for myself (I thought it only fair), and went to town on it. It gave it a nice, rich look. When that dried, I ...
I figured it was time to start another new blog. We’ve got friends that are getting married, and we wanted to give them something special. I figure the best gift you can give is one you want for yourself, so I’m going to make two while I’m at it. We originally thought about a mirror, but realized shipping it would be problematic. Then I thought about the clock project that had been bouncing around in the back of my head. After my usual extensive research, this is the de...
I’ve been so fantastically lazy these past 3 weeks of pseudo-laid-off time. I wanted to use this unexpected break to go nuts in the garage, as it’s what I’ve dreamed of for more than a year now, but I think the anticipation of hard times ahead, and light anxiety of not having a steady income at the moment (first time in 6 years – since shortly after moving to CA) has sapped my motivation almost entirely. I’ve done almost nothing but wait. I’ve had some thin...
I have been searching around the internet for a wall clock that I like, I have been able to find clocks that have some design features I like but not one that reached out and grabbed me. This one from Klockit came the closest, I don’t care for the choice of wood or the finish but I can change these things. There aren’t any plans as the clock is only available in kit form. The Klockit website shows a finished Size: 13 1/4”H x 13 1/2”W x 5 1/2”D, I’m thinking these dime...
I was able to plane the stock for the shelves yesterday. I glued up a large enough blank for two shelves, then used the fence to cut them parallel. I then used the cross-cut sled to square the other sides. I got to use my Delta new mortiser to make all of the mortises (3 on each side x 4 sides = 12 total). Luckily, they were all 3/8” and had the same offset from the front/back. This meant that with one setup, I could knock them all out. If I had done them with a chisel, ...
So I’m trying to take Sketchup to the next level. I’m having fun with it, but it is taking me a while to get the hang of “Layout”. I designed this Craftsman Bookcase (based on WoodSmith) with Greene & Greene influence. I will build two of these starting this fall. The shelving has stepped scallops with Breadboard ends. I’ll put the ebony buttons throughout the joints, but they were just too damn hard to draw in.I drew the plans in “Sketchup” and exported to “Layout”. It’s a cumb...
Well, after three days in solitary, I decided to pop the the weasel. The different boards fumed to different tones, but I think with shellac and brown furniture wax, it’ll be just non-perfect enough for some charm. The wood putty had no tannins in it, so it’s almost white. Luckily, one corner is perfect, so that’ll be the one facing out. I tried my Dark Fumed Oak aniline dye, and it didn’t work on the putty either. I even brushed the liquid ammonia directly on...
So, today I ran over to Plywood & Lumber Sales in Oakland, CA and purchased about 100 board feet of quartersawn white oak. I finally have enough lumber to do the dining table. I’m going to start with the top and get that finished so I can bring it into the dining room and set it on top of my old table. This will get rid of the MDF table top we’ve been using for months. It’ll also let me use the MDF for more important things like jigs. I also abhor the tablecloth we&...
After letting the glue cure overnight, I took it out of the clamps and gave it a final hand sanding. Not too bad, but could be better. I think next time I’ll err on making the legs touch on the outside corners instead of a flat meeting. This caused some gappage that I filled with putty. Since our dog laid down by the tent, I figured it was time to fume. There’s no better time than the present. I carefully put the tent over the table and then propped them both up en...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1263 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1285 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 369 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 256 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 160 entries
- stefang - 148 entries