I have an old Craftsman with a funky insert. It’s aluminum ( I used to think steel) about 3/32” thick and “D” shaped. I have not found any one anywhere that makes a compatible insert that I can buy. The lip on the insert is so thin that conventional insert instructions just won’t hack it. I took some acrylic and made an attempt at a ZCI: and it worked for a while but was a bear to make. The acrylic is starting to crack and I’ve hacked away some of the...
I am now midway through a project to build a mission dining set. It will include 6 side chairs and two end chairs. I started with the chair construction using quartersawn white Oregon oak that I kiln dried myself. The chair design is a modern version of the arts and crafts style that is also very comfortable. The style was inspired by Kevin Rodel, Gustav Stickley, and Elbert Hubbard. I had fun designing them on Google Sketchup. It is surprising how many hours it ta...
Today I found (on craigslist) a free Craftsman Radial Arm saw. It’s the electronic kind with a digital readout for height/bevel/angle (not sure if I’ll trust it) and it was in very good shape. It needs a new table and fence (don’t they all?!) and some lubrication but the blade is nice and sharp and it’s not rusty or thrashed. I’ve seen people selling these for $75 that were beat up and rusty with missing parts. Best of all, I remembered something from a few ye...
My wife and I built out new house last year and I decided that I would make the stairs. I am a fan of Greene and Greene and admire the Hall Bros. work on staircases so I designed the stairs in the “GnG” style. It’s going to be a big project to work on in evenings and spare time, but I have more time than money – so that works out.The stock is all air dried Black Walnut with Mountain Mahogany accents. Rails run from 1” to 3 1/2 “ thick – I designed the paneling for the wall, but...
Today while browsing through Craigslist for a planer, I happened on a listing for a Craftsman Radial Arm Saw which I’ve always wanted to add to my arsenal of tools. When I read the ad and looked at the pictures, the price just didn’t seem right. I’ve seen ads where the person didn’t pay much attention to what they were typing and left off a 1 in front of the price so this seemed like one of those ads. I decided to call and see so the curiosity would not drive me batty....
Most people only talk about grain at the most superficial level of how it looks. We woodworkers enter the fibres. We tease the cells apart with the chisel’s edge and search for weaknesses and strengths in the species. We want to know these intimate details so we can exemplify the strengths and protect the weak from harm. I thought that it might help to give my personal insights into the different woods that I have worked with for almost five decades. Most of them are common enough, ...
about 5 weeks ago i bought an old bandsaw for $100 and have just finished restoring it. originally it had a 1/3 horse motor but it appears that some time in the 60s someone replaced it with a 1 horse motor. here it is after i brought it home and cleaned the table i used a wire brush then proceeded to treat it with linseed oil and then johnson wax just to make sure it wont rust again for a while i also set to work taking it all apart and checking everything as well as oiling the uppe...
Finally, I’ve pulled the photos from my camera. I neglected to photograph it as I built it, but here it is in finished form. It gives me 8’ of stop range for precisely measured crosscuts. I can use it for through cuts as well as crosscut dados. The extension table top and fence are made of a partial sheet of 18mm (3/4”) oak veneer plywood that I’ve had laying around for 10 years or so. The legs are of ordinary 2×4 stud material. There is no finish on it...
I am finally getting proficient with Google Sketchup version 8. Here is my version of a craftsman style TV console. It is halfway done at this point, however the Sketchup program was very helpful in getting the proportions pleasing to the eye. Especially shaping and sizing the corbels. I printed the corbel component, and enlarged them to scale. By simply taping the pattern on my workpiece I was easily able to cut and sand the corbels. Cheers
My daughter was helping some people she knows clean out an old storage shed and thought this would be something I would like to have.Taking it apart for cleaning and inspection.Not sure whether to use a derusting solvent of some kind or wire brush and steel wool or maybe a sand blaster?What ever the case might be Sears has no parts available. Motor and bearings will be the first hurdle.Any suggestions or comments would greatly appreciated.Thanks for looking.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1781 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Toy costruction - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1806 entries
- dbhost - 432 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 307 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 235 entries
- Dave Rutan - 228 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 203 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries