Here is my cherry refreshment table which will feature a single drawer and breadboard ends.-----I started by making breadboard mortises at the router table. The mortises are 1-1/4” deep and cut in multiple shallow passes. -----I used a 1/4” spiral bit to center a 3/8” groove in the breadboard ends. I made an initial pass in the standard right to left direction. Then I flipped the board end for end and made a pass from left to right to avoid a climb cut.-----I set up my t...
One thing that I have long felt lacking among my group of tools was a thickness planer. Since I tend to look for discarded wood (I.E. free) to use for projects very often the wood is a bit rough. Mostly it will have a previous owner’s finish on it which I am forced to remove. I’d also like to utilize pallet wood, since it’s free in my area, but my list of ‘rustic’ projects is a bit short. So some time ago, I started saving my pocket change towards buying a...
In my last post, I mentioned my planer seizing up entirely. I couldn’t move the belts, and I couldn’t spin the knife wheel. I also talked about how insanely built the Craftsman 13” is, and I still stand behind that. I think taking apart my Toyota pickup’s engine might be less involved. I finally found the secret under the black slide-in plastic caps that the top rods sit in. There were access ports that let me undo some hex screws and finally lift off the top shrouds (...
I picked up this beauty for only $75 off Craigslist this weekend. Everything seems to be in good shape except for nicks on the blades about 4” out. It’s missing the blade guard for when you move the fence in, but other than that has everything else, as far as I can see. The power switch is attached with duct tape, but I will remedy that as well. Now for the tool p0rn!
Hope putting this as a blog is OK. If not moderators may move it. To start off, on a weekly basis I have been visiting my recycling center where I live. I always find useful junk for woodworking and my metal projects (just bought a Lincoln HD140 welder on Craigslist).I had noticed months ago in the corner of the property there was what seemed to me the carcass of a table saw without the top placed upside down in high grass and dirt. Out of curiosity this past Sat I decided to go take a loo...
Alright so here is the workbench that I bought at a estate sale on Friday but just picked up Yesterday. Its about 27”x68” with a quick release craftsman vise mounted on the end. So its friday morning and I’m scrambling to pull apart this workbench I just bought just to take the top with me; I’m scrambling because in about 2 hours I have to go to the rehearsal for my wedding and then host our rehearsal dinner. But while chiseling off some glue around a square headed ...
This is the queen size bed that I am building. Material is quartersawn red oak. -----I started with some veneers for the legs. I resawed some 3/4” stock at the bandsaw, and planed them to thickness. Then I wrapped them with some shrink wrap to keep them flat. ----- The veneers are slightly oversized, and 1/4” thick. Although the finished veneers will be only 3/32” thick, I leave them thicker because 1) they are easier to glue up, and 2) they come out of the planer lo...
Top finished Frame assembled Four-inch long T30 lags secure the top timbers. Laminated or not? By laying out my jointlines carefully, I was able to laminate some 8/4 and 5/4 together. The glueline is at the angle of the timber, so it is not visible. In addition, I laminated some thin veneers on both sides. Back to the project page… http://lumberjocks.com/projects/71281
In the last two weeks, I have bought the two pieces of equipment that I have been looking for and now I think my shop is complete as far as vintage power tools are concerned (until I see something else). I have a Rockwell/Delta drill press, but for me it just wasn’t old enough. I walked into the auction house as a way to get away from Trick-or-Treat night. Wasn’t really looking for anything but then I heard this little beauty calling my name: It is a Companion (Com...
After letting the glue cure overnight, I took it out of the clamps and gave it a final hand sanding. Not too bad, but could be better. I think next time I’ll err on making the legs touch on the outside corners instead of a flat meeting. This caused some gappage that I filled with putty. Since our dog laid down by the tent, I figured it was time to fume. There’s no better time than the present. I carefully put the tent over the table and then propped them both up en...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1391 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1415 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- shipwright - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 169 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 167 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries