I wanted to recreate this Jeff Jewitt finish from Fine Woodworking #157, however the article didn’t list which formula was used. I consulted with Jeff, and it was Transtint Brown Mohogany dye, followed by McCloskeys Walnut stain. McClosky no longer makes stain, but sold to Valspar / Cabot. ---So I set out to make a sample board to achieve the rich, dark color I was after. ---The top colors are stain only, the middle colors are dye first then stain, and the bottom color is dye only. ...
The rest…I had cut the parts for the ottomans and glued up (after a dry fit) – I finished the glue up – Then everything into the fume tent. I put it all in with 33% ammonia for 24 hours at about 65 degrees. When they come out they are almost black, a deep shade of gray – After putting on a coat of Arm R Seal sealer, everything turned a rich Carmel color. The final result – one of two finished and one of five in process. I also built two tables that complimented the ...
While browsing the internet a few weeks ago I ran across an article from Emerson Tool Co. about a recall on Craftsman RAS. Intrigued enough to stop and read the article, I entered the model number of my saw and found that my old, on it’s way to retirement, beast was covered in this recall. When FedEx backed into my drive this morning and unloaded a rather large 4ft box out of the back of the truck, My heart raced with excitement in hopes of getting a whole new saw out of this deal. Wel...
Today, I bit the bullet and tried out my 45 degree lock-miter bit to make the four-sided quarter-sawn white oak 4” x 4” legs. I outsmarted myself by trimming the edges at 45 degrees. Unbeknownst to me, the router bit needs all the meat it can grab to make the “tongues”. As a result, I have very little “lock” in my lock-miter. I have just enough to register the corner, but I’ve lost about half of my glue surface. Sigh… The good news is that...
I was initially going to post all of my progress when I posted the final project, but there were too many pictures and the project page would’ve been way too long, so I decided to do a blog series instead in order to track my progress. So I’ve been building little small projects and shop stuff out of scrap wood and I decided I wanted to build something nicer. Plus, I’ve been woodworking for a year now and wanted something to challenge and develop my skills. I love cr...
Last time I built cabinets, I used my biscuit joiner. I thought about going with it again, but since I have a Domino I said what the hey: Go for it.Solid panel waiting for mortisesThe cabinets have 5 identical rails: Two at the top for attaching the counters, one to act a a face frame nailer, and two at the back for securing to the wall during installation. There is also a bottom shelf. I start by marking the approximate locations of the rails so that I put them in the right place. The si...
Well, it looks like I won’t have the money for Darrell’s class at William Ng’s school this weekend (or Disneyland either for that matter). I’m pretty bummed. I had to do the right thing and spend my tuition on sailing instructor seminars to further my “real” career. Luckily, the woodworking classes are offered often (I’ve got them all on the calendar), and Mickey will always be there. I may just have to bite the bullet and plunge back into the s...
Today I found (on craigslist) a free Craftsman Radial Arm saw. It’s the electronic kind with a digital readout for height/bevel/angle (not sure if I’ll trust it) and it was in very good shape. It needs a new table and fence (don’t they all?!) and some lubrication but the blade is nice and sharp and it’s not rusty or thrashed. I’ve seen people selling these for $75 that were beat up and rusty with missing parts. Best of all, I remembered something from a few ye...
In my last post, I mentioned my planer seizing up entirely. I couldn’t move the belts, and I couldn’t spin the knife wheel. I also talked about how insanely built the Craftsman 13” is, and I still stand behind that. I think taking apart my Toyota pickup’s engine might be less involved. I finally found the secret under the black slide-in plastic caps that the top rods sit in. There were access ports that let me undo some hex screws and finally lift off the top shrouds (...
Hope putting this as a blog is OK. If not moderators may move it. To start off, on a weekly basis I have been visiting my recycling center where I live. I always find useful junk for woodworking and my metal projects (just bought a Lincoln HD140 welder on Craigslist).I had noticed months ago in the corner of the property there was what seemed to me the carcass of a table saw without the top placed upside down in high grass and dirt. Out of curiosity this past Sat I decided to go take a loo...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1196 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1218 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries