I’m not sure I will be able to finish by the May 31 deadline – but I’m plugging along. I wanted to combine the project with gifts for two different weddings this summer. I opted to make them from Black Walnut, with a “Rodel” kind of look. I think Walnut is regal on it’s own, so I tried several methods to add the detail shown in the original design and ended up going with inlay of the same wood. I think it adds a complementary, but still subtle detail. I book matc...
I happened across this Craftsman lathe, the previous owner hated it and wanted $50 for it so I took it home. It came with a 2×4 stand, 1/3HP motor, 2 faceplates, a spur drive and cup center. First thing I did was disassemble, clean, and reassemble everything. Some things had been put together wrong; the drive pulley was in the wrong place so the indexing pin wouldn’t engage and the tailstock handwheel would move in and out instead of the ram. The bearings seemed fine out of the...
A few years ago I saw one of these planers listed as for sale and knew that I wanted one. From the first time I saw one, I knew I was going to get one. For the next several months I looked for the one for me at the price I wanted to pay. I saw several, but you would have thought these things are gold plated. This past week I had one fall into my lap for $40.00. It was a bit “aged” and needed some work, but it cleaned up nicely. With the purchase of this tool, I thi...
Okay, at this point, legs are glued up, rails, stretchers are cut along with all the mortices and tenons. I decided to make two chairs and ottomans to completion and then come back to the other two. The next step is to cut the stiles and tenon their ends. I planned for 3/8” tenons and cut them at a horizontal router, (although a good backer board and dado setup works as well). The glue up of each side – the tenons fit tight, so I bevel the ends even before I dry f...
I got some shots of the gruesome outcome inside the machine. The replacement bearing has been ordered through Sears Parts Direct and should be here in a week or two. Meanwhile, the carnage… Here are some closeups of the broken bearing from the side where it opened up: Note the broken cage and missing balls. No idea where they went: The shaft was pitted beneath the bearing. At first I thought it was damage, and it may be, but I’m leaning a bit toward it being a...
The Dining chairs are coming along nicely now, with corner braces in place, and a mock up seat cushion.We found some nice genuine leather today, that is the same color as the mock up.
Today is payday and I have put off new tool purchases over the holidays so that there was room in the budget for a decent Christmas for the kids and so dad is going to pick up a router, one he probably should have picked up in the first place :) Two years ago, a friend takes me to Harbor Freight and I see a 1 3/4 HP plunge router ON SALE (took me a bit to realize that these things are ALWAYS on sale) for about 40 dollars. Impulse buy later and I am playing around with the router down the ...
What a day I’m having! Okay, so September of last year I was gearing up to buy a band saw. I liked the Craftsman 18” Wood/Metal deal for $1300 (and eventually got that one). Above the picture on the saw’s page were clickable, hierarchical categories, something like “Power Tools > Saws > Band Saws.” You could click on each to go to broader categories – pretty standard. I noticed in the address bar that these category names were echoed in the URL as variab...
Since I have installed the Delta T2 fence on my Craftsman tablesaw, I have had a few people asking how I installed it, especially, how I installed the fence so that it would zero properly. For those that are thinking about installing this fence on a craftsman, you WILL have to drill new holes in the rails. You can use one of the existing holes, but you will not be able to ‘0’ the fence. I wish that I had taken pictures of each step to further clarify the information listed be...
I wanted to recreate this Jeff Jewitt finish from Fine Woodworking #157, however the article didn’t list which formula was used. I consulted with Jeff, and it was Transtint Brown Mohogany dye, followed by McCloskeys Walnut stain. McClosky no longer makes stain, but sold to Valspar / Cabot. ---So I set out to make a sample board to achieve the rich, dark color I was after. ---The top colors are stain only, the middle colors are dye first then stain, and the bottom color is dye only. ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1043 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Just for Fun... - 72 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 64 parts
- 52 Weeks - 52 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1065 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 384 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- dbhost - 318 entries
- Martin Sojka - 294 entries
- Karson - 288 entries
- MsDebbieP - 283 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- William - 214 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Stevinmarin - 198 entries
- mafe - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 182 entries
- Rustic - 182 entries
- PurpLev - 159 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 146 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries