This is one of the many reasons why I love woodworking. It is figuring out how to get accurate results and moving up the learning curve. And speaking of curves, isn’t that the point of this series? Now that the three arches have been fabricated it is time to begin making some exact cuts and building the sub-assemblies. On this project I’m contrsturcting from the inside out starting with the inner frame of the headboard. Once again I’ve found Sketchup to be an invaluable...
Hello jocks and jockettes… it has been awhile since my last project, still I’ve been keeping busy. This is the first entry in a new series on the Arched Bed. If you’ve seen the copper patina gates you know where I got the idea, or as my brother said, “you’re turning your gate into a bed.” The backstory is I had built a bed a couple years ago but since that time we got a Sleep Number bed. Well the new mattresses are each 10” tall so the old b...
I am making 9 bench dogs out of 3/4 brass rod and 3/8 copper flat bar. Cut the rod to 3” pieces and the copper to 1 1/2 by 1 3/4 rectangles. Drill a 3/4 hole in the copper. mate and silver solder. then find an appropriate size tygon tube. Cut into 7/16 long rings, heat and slip over the copper. Then I’ll be done with another step. 9 very sturdy bench dogs for $60. not bad. Thanks Gary for this COOL idea.
One of the main challenges of cutting an arch is figuring out the dimensions and glue angle of straight boards from which an arch can be cut. Fortunately, this time around I’m using Sketchup. As you can see in the picture it is pretty easy to figure these out, although I’m still searching for a formula to calculate the dimensions. The vertical angle is 15 degrees. I drew a line intersecting the bottom of the middle of the arch with the bottom of the right side. I then made a ...
First… after seeing Trifern’s secrets on dyeing I wonder how a door would look? Guess I’ll have to give it a try. Anyway, here’s the gate with several coats of outdoor oil over some redwood stain. The colors in the photo are pretty accurate. The top picture gives a good comparison of the treated and untreated copper panel. Once the gate is hung I will post a final blog on this series with photos and some specifications and tips I learned on this project. An...
Nothing real exciting at this point. Just wanted to have a complete blog on this project. I used the Turnlock System and Circle Jig by Milescraft to cut the arch in the panel. I noticed a nice review was posted by Teenagewoodworker on this jig and plan to my experience and thoughts when I get a chance. The bent laminations fit nicely and the whole thing easily went together, which is a pleasant change from my normal routine. I installed one side of the stays and left the othe...
There are a number of ways to hold the panel in place. You could cut a rabbet on the inside edge, or you could cut a groove on the inside of the stiles and rails like a cabinet door panel. I chose to stick with the method David Marks used, panel stays. Yet once again, there is an arch to deal with. This time I thought I would just use the top rail as a bending template for a bent lamination to ensure a good fit. The plan was to resaw thin strips 2” wide and just long enough to fit ...
Here’s my first attempt at the hot patina process. All but one of the chemicals arrived from ArtChemicals, the Cupric Nitrate being on back order. I decided I couldn’t wait and pressed on anyway. I printed labels so I could keep better track of the chemical blends and colors each was supposed to produce. I learned two things right away. The first is this is a complicated process. The second is you really can’t mess it up. I used the method demonstrated by David Marks ...
Ever since I saw David Marks’ Japanese Garden gate I was intrigued. I think it is the idea of working with wood, metal, chemicals, heat, and a creative process that caught my attention. It also helps to end up with something functional that is, hopefully, attractive to boot. So far my research has included re-reading David Marks DIY project page on this and his other patina projects, viewing Ron Young’s patina DVDs, looking at the Art Chemicals webpage, and searching the ...
Finished! Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push. I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend. How to Remove a Scratch- After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today: Yes you are seeing it correctly...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries