Shortly after a post about the Millers Falls No.42 coping saw on C. Schwarz’s blog – the saw became “challenging” to find. This might be because it offers one of the better mechanisms for adjusting the blade. So I hunted around for about 3 years before I finally found one, then two, and finally 3 saws. But the one thing that struck me was that all three were different – not strange in the tool world, but maybe strange for a saw. Here’s a small study of the ...
Haven’t had a lot of shop time in the past week, too many tasks around the house and yesterday was a complete wash (rain all day makes for stir-crazy kids). But, I did get out there today and made some sawdust. First I took the random orbital sander to the coopered first stage section and smoothed it out into a nice purty arch. Then I got busy cutting and planing the sides of the second stage. I want to let the final design of the hatch on the coopered section of the first s...
The final assembly came out very good. The violin 2 passed thru my expectation with respect to sound and strength. I am happy how it came out. The sound is perfect and high enough. The vibration of the plates including the bottom is remarkably balanced. I can fell the effect of the bridge prolong vibrations. The last phase came up with the gluing of the bottom plate, the fretboard, and the fixing of the tailpiece. I made the bridge accordingly using a special medium hard wood. ...
After what seemed to me (someone who’s lived in a state where winter was 3 months—Jan, Feb, March—-Florida, where there is no winter and Texas where winter lasts from Jan to Feb) an interminal winter, the garage finally warmed up to 40 today and I could no longer hold back. I had to make some cuts and smell sawdust or I was going to scream. I haven’t been out there since early November when the temps started falling. The natives around here assure me this was still ...
Started chopping mortises. By hand, no less. Laid out the mortise Yep, they go all the way to the top. next a kerf cut, just to keep things from splitting out. Doesn’t have to all that precise, just set the depth, and the length. Slight over cut will get covered by the apron. Next Chisel to chop down into the end. Sets the bottom of the mortise. Need this for the next step I split out the waste. A few other chisels to define the sides better, and then a check...
Got a hold of some free time today during naps and continued work on Jim’s aspen mounting plates for his new garage lights. I took the two blanks of wood that I had sketched the design on from last time—-here’s the picture from the last entry to refresh your memory (Thanksgiving and vacation right before that really but a damper on my shop time): As you can see I had cut the first plate with the coping saw (that took a while and wasn’t that easy to control, but I...
For all the evidence—-I mean pictures——please click here. As the title says, things didn’t go exactly as planned with the hammer the past couple days. I tried my best but it just didn’t work out as I imagined. Here’s what happened. Best pull up a chair and get some popcorn. It started after the handle was finally cut free from the excess wood. I decided to put all the pieces together and see if I like the general shape and weight of the mallet. H...
To see the pictures, please click here. After finishing up the leg vise yesterday, I had a little bit of time leftover and decided to get cracking on Mjolnir (yeah, it thinks a lot of itself!). I finalized the design and drew it on the handle. It has the typical laminated mallet shape, tapered inside the head to lock the handle in place. I decided ti add a little detail to the handle and a pommel. Totally not necessary but I’m having fun now. I started to cut the handle free...
To see the pictures, please click here. At long last I have begun construction of my first mallet! I’ve been seeing all these great pounders, thumpers, whackers, and smackers that everyone has been displaying on the internet and on TV shows and finally could take no more of the bounce-back prone rubber mallet I’ve been using. As it happens, when I bought the supplies to build the bench back in August, I also acquired a nice hickory plank (4”x3/4” x 4’) to ...
For the version with pictures, please click here. My father-in-law has commissioned me (I guess that’s still the right phrase, though it’s really pro bono since he has given me a router and table, grinder and drill!!! I owe him!) to make some mounting plates for a couple outdoor lights he wants to mount on his garage. Naturally, I jumped at the chance. More woodworking! He wanted a shield-like design to go with the lights. Here’s what I came up with: To give y...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1730 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1755 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 238 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries