Had a redneck revelation. ” hey I don’t own a lathe so I’ll use my drum sander to turn the inside of my shell.” WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It exloded. Sent pieces of the stave drum some 30 feet. Thank god I was standing on the infeed side like the warning on the front of the machine said. So here is the details of what I did. I took the top off the machine took the pressure rollers off and took one of the sanding drums off. I then got 2 shorter belts from NAPA and put them...
Took the shell to work. Reason? Don’t own a lathe. So i turned it on a big metal engine lathe. I had to clamp it very loose because the 3 jaw chuck was distorting the shape. If I ever make these things for real, I will make a jig to hold the shape.
Closet Project Well I am still in Ohio, and I am working on one incredible project. It is an entry closet for the house I built with my brother, which is not far from where I grew up. No Ordinary Closet This project takes the ordinary and ubiquitous closet to a whole new level. This is not made of sheetrock and 2×4’s. It is of black lacquered panels and veneer with artistic lines and custom copper handles. The doors have a 70-30 split and feature hidden hinges that open 18...
Exciting Progress.. I am making some great progress on my closet project. I currently have the copper rods in a machine shop where the parts are being fabricated. The clients and I had talked about changing the lights to better illuminate the fine work that I have produced. While the metal work is being done I decided to go ahead and install the new lights. WOW! Man-OH-Man! Does it ever look fantastic! Here is the closet with the old lights: Here is the closet with the n...
Another Step Closer… Tonight, I sprayed the final coat of lacquer and painted the groove in the door black. Tomorrow I will hang the door first thing in the morning. The overnight dry time will allow the finish to cure sufficiently so that it may be handled with a hard finish. I installed the small door a few days ago and it went smoothly. The small door only weighs 48 lbs. The big one is 108 lbs. and keep in mind it is a hollow core door. Want More? Go to this li...
Success- I installed the big door today with a helping hand. The careful planning paid big dividends in an incredibly smooth and accurate install. Before doing the veneer work, I installed and fitted the doors. The doors were then taken to the shop and finished. The hinges were numbered and went back into the same locations. This meant that the final install required no additional adjustment. This is what I call jobsite theory, and it worked out this time. Getting a handle on it&...
Finished! Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push. I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend. How to Remove a Scratch- After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today: Yes you are seeing it correctly...
Another Milestone I am pretty excited to share with you guys today’s progress. I got all of the handle pieces finished! Next I have some touch up on the doors and the final install. I am sure I will have a full day of technical sweating. I had to brush the pieces again on the wire wheel to brighten the finish. I then hung them from the ceiling and wiped them down thoroughly with acetone. This strips any oil from the surface. I sprayed them with an acrylic resin lacquer by Sh...
Getting Closer… Well guys I can hardly stand it! I am getting so close to done on this project and yet there is so much to do. I just want to go home and be with my wife and my dogs so bad. This job has been a nail biter every step of the way. The more I get done, the more work I have at risk if I should screw up. A mistake could cost the equivalent of a good used car – NO KIDDING. If you want to do high-end work, the risk is high too. That is one factor most don’t...
psych, OK, it’s an OLD D.R.BARTON cooper’s side axe/hatchet. I have been looking for a bigger better heavier side hatchet for hewing furniture parts. this may be too big but I’ma gonna give it a try.bought from jimbodetools.comas delivered: and after @ 1/2 hour grinding, and after another half hour, razor sharp and ready for me to try out.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1737 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1762 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 217 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries